Page: Previous  1, 2, 3

techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi has always been hostile to dkms, because I expect most people who use it are not using stock kernels, or are using it for some other reasoin, and since dkms doesn't help when patches are needed, I've always felt that it's a bad way to go.

Technically I could add an enable dkms for nvidia but then I'd have to rewrite a bunch of the initial cleaner stuff.
damentz
Reply Quote
But that's the irony, the entire point of DKMS is to support third party kernels. The maintainers of the stock kernels typically also include a prebuilt module that can be installed by package. Arch does the same thing while also providing a DKMS kernel for non stock configurations.

And regarding patches not working properly, the DKMS switch is built-in to the .run package for nvidia's drivers - I'm pretty sure it uses thee same files to build that would build otherwise without enabling DKMS. That would be a huge duplication of code on nvidia's part.

Anyway, my recommendation would be to force the enable this flag when installing nvidia drivers through script:
:: Code ::
  --dkms
      nvidia-installer can optionally register the NVIDIA kernel
      module sources, if installed, with DKMS, then build and
      install a kernel module using the DKMS-registered sources.
      This will allow the DKMS infrastructure to automatically
      build a new kernel module when changing kernels.  During
      installation, if DKMS is detected, nvidia-installer will
      ask the user if they wish to register the module with DKMS;
      the default response is 'no'.  This option will bypass the
      detection of DKMS, and cause the installer to attempt a
      DKMS-based installation regardless of whether DKMS is
      present.

And also make sure DKMS is installed:
:: Code ::
# apt-get install dkms -y

This isn't a question of whether DKMS should be an option, DKMS is the default and _only_ option for practically all third party modules available through package in Debian, Ubuntu, and Arch (and probably all the other major distributions that support alternative kernels). If a switch is added, it should be for disabling DKMS with the intention of testing builds without it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ok, I'll look at it, but it makes zero sense since unless we ignore ALL reality and history, the fact is, new kernels often do not in fact run the current nvidia, and particularly in the case of liquorix, over the years, the amount of time that there has not been a working nvidia driver for current kernel is very significant, I think what happens is that a year may pass with no serious issues, and we forget that reality is still here.

For example, right now, I can't run any kernel newer than 4.9 with nvidia 340.xxx latest. Didn't try 4.10 or 11, but tried the newer ones, no go.

So I don't actually see how dkms can deal with this reality, or how it helps users to provide the illusion that it can.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3