partition magic
teardown
Reply Quote
Keep getting error1531 too few clusters when executing batch when I try to resize drv c larger from drv d.drive c is ntsf with 35,000
with 22,000 used.D is 81,000 with 23,000 used.Want to enlarge c by 25,000.Also have extended with 111,000 mb with 81,000 used and unallocated with 29,000mb with 0 used.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Why are you using a batch file? Is for multiple machines? Partition magic is weird, Norton owns them now I think, that company isn't doing good programming anymore.

If this is just for one machine why are you scripting it, or is this what you mean?
rkoenig
Reply Quote
I'm not clear on what the question is either. I'll take a guess though:

If you are trying to execute many partitioning tasks at once the odds of failure will skyrocket. When I do repartitioning with partition magic I only create and execute a few commands at a time. Especially if you are repartitioning your primary OS partition.

To do this with maximum safety, do the following:

resize your c: drive. Click the 'execute' button, the green circle thing. The computer will reboot, and then run that command. Once the c drive is successfully resized, you can go on with resizing the rest, but only run a few commands at a time, execute them, reboot if necessary, then go on and run the next batch. Break the job down into logical parts, it sounds like you're simply asking partition magic to do too much at once.

Without more information it's hard to say anything beyond this however.

If you are trying to do this with a command line type thing it sounds like the mistake you're making is simply not correctly adding up the different partition block sizes. Let PM do the work for you, use the gui, it will tell you how big the partitions can be, if you're asking it to create a partition that is even 1 block over the real available space, of course you'll get this type of error.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
See this article, it may or may not help you, hard to say without more information.
LINK_X
Reply Quote
I use magic partition and I tray to merge a primary partition with data on it (stupid of me ) and I get Error 1531 too few clusters .
Can I some how get teh data from theat partition the program indicate theat the 18Gb is still ther but the partition is not warcking
10x I aspect advice if ther is oane or is practicalli all last......
jeffd
Reply Quote
To see if the data is still there, download a linux bootable cd, like for example knoppix or kanotix. These are roughly 700 mB downloads, so don't try it if you don't have broadband. You can order a cd though for very little money.

Once you download one of these, burn the cd image, then boot the computer with that cd. Linux will not be installed, it is running in ram, but the os will enable you to examine your drives to see if there is any recoverable data on them.

Once you determine if the data is recoverable, you can probably salvage it one of several ways, either copying it over to a large usb flash memory drive directly from kanotix or knoppix, or by maybe reinstalling a new os, which may or may not be able to read the corrupted partition.

Linux tends to do better at this than Windows however.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Now that symantec bought partition magic, you can check out the Partition Magic Error Code page, that might help you out a bit.

Or just use gparted livecd, see if that solves the problem. Gparted is a linux based livecd, that means you boot into it without installing anything. It includes gparted, the disk partitioning tool.

Sometimes using two tools from different worlds can create a solution