[SOLVED] Ryzen crashes with 4.13
klaxian
Reply Quote
My Ryzen system frequently freezes or spontaneously reboots itself when running the liquorix 4.13 kernel. I actually had a similar problem with 4.11-liquorix, but the 4.12 series has worked without problems. I can't be absolutely sure that this is related to Ryzen and Liquorix, but I have tried to eliminate as many variables as possible. I am running the latest BIOS with AGESA 1.0.0.6b. I even swapped the PSU just to be sure. I realize this isn't much to go on, but we have to start somewhere. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help diagnose this further. Specs are below. Cheers.

:: Code ::
System:    Host: xxx Kernel: 4.12.0-14.3-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit)
           Desktop: MATE 1.18.0  Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 0902 date: 09/08/2017
CPU:       Quad core AMD Ryzen 3 1300X (-MCP-) speed/max: 1550/3500 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GM107 [GeForce GTX 750 Ti]
           Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 driver: nvidia
           Resolution: 2560x1440@59.95hz, 2560x1440@59.95hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 750 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 387.12
Network:   Card: Intel I211 Gigabit Network Connection driver: igb
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 18123.6GB (18.9% used)
RAID:      Devices: 1: /dev/md3 2: /dev/md0
Info:      Processes: 274 Uptime: 1 day Memory: 7024.9/16049.6MB
           Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35

< Edited by klaxian :: Oct 25, 17, 8:57 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Your process seems sound, though I would have skipped the psu switch test, but that just shows you're trying everything, which certainly can't be faulted.

Have you tried the stock kernel? Usually I find mint suspect with stability issues, but in this case, it does seem to point to a hardware/kernel issue.

You'd want to test a vanilla kernel for sure to see if that is a difference.
damentz
Reply Quote
Per the release notes[1] for Linux Mint 18.2, it seems that your distribution is based on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS with the HWE kernel.

Liquorix is not (and should not be) supported on Ubuntu 16.04.X due to the older user space and older firmware package. I'd upgrade to a current 17.10 based version of Ubuntu or derivative before you give another test run as there are probably many other things that are causing problems with your system.

Or, stick with the stock kernel that's supported on Mint. You'll need to backport the latest firmware _and_ and latest GCC toolkit. But at that point, you're userspace is also out of sync and possibly mismatched, so you'd want to upgrade anyway to the latest release you can get for the Ubuntu core.

Also, if Cinnamon is what you're after, there's a PPA available, but only for 17.04 at the latest for now: www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/05/install-cinnamon-3-4-ubuntu-ppa

[1] www.linuxmint.com/rel_sonya_cinnamon_whatsnew.php
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Cinnamon is also in Debian, not sure about current stable, but certainly in testing. I second your comments, if you want to run current kernels, then accept that you also have to run current operating systems, which means, not mint, and not ubuntu LTR. And not Debian stable. it's kind of the situation where you can pick one, current kernels OR stable long term support operating systems.
klaxian
Reply Quote
Sorry I missed that in the release notes! Yes, Linux Mint follows Ubuntu's LTS releases so I wouldn't expect a major upgrade for at least 6 months. I already run a backported gcc toolkit (7.2) and I just upgraded my firmware (Oct 2017). There is an official HWE kernel 4.13 for Ubuntu 16.04 so I'll test with that too. If all else fails, I'll stick with liquorix 4.12 until the next major Linux Mint release. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
klaxian
Reply Quote
I agree and I normally wouldn't be trying to run the newest kernels on Mint/Ubuntu LTS. Unfortunately, I ran into problems with Ryzen when running kernels older than 4.12. Thanks again for the help!
stevenpusser
Reply Quote
And here I am running Liquorix 4.13 on the ancient Debian Jessie base without problems. In fact, I think it got hibernation (to disk) working on my Skylake laptop without booting with systemd (I can boot with or without systemd). I had to boot with systemd previously to get hibernation to resume without a blank screen before.

But this is the backported version using gcc-4.9, plus we keep the non-free firmware packages up to date from upstream Debian via backporting them ourselves. The machine runs smooth as butta.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Yeah,. I think your way is the best, and only way. I'll start linking to it when this type of issue comes up from now on.
ilu
Reply Quote
Actually, frequent freezes and spontaneous reboots are a general ryzen problem, you can find a lot of reports on all kind of systems. At the moment I'm running debian testing with liquorix 4.13 and it still happens but not as frequent as with 4.11 - there was a bios update in between, so maybe that's why it's gotten better. Stock kernel had it too so I don't think it's a liquorix problem.

Win7 also had some bluescreens. I think manufacturers still need to work on the BIOS.
Faulty Motherboard
klaxian
Reply Quote
In case someone reads this thread in the future, the culprit turned out to be a faulty motherboard. Crashes were more frequent with the liquorix kernel, but they did occur with a stock kernel as well. The manufacturer confirmed the problem and offered to replace the unit under warranty. I have been testing with a new motherboard for a couple weeks without a single crash. Sorry for the false alarm.