newest version doesnt build rtlwifi_new drivers and possible missing firmware?
Filip98
Reply Quote
Hello all, hope im in the right place to report this.
I'm on Lubunu 16.04 LTS, have the rtl8723be wifi chip
After upgrading from 4.10.0-11.1-liquorix-amd64 rtlwifi drivers from https://github.com/lwfinger/rtlwifi_new/tree/master no longer build, it worked before the ugprade

and during the boot image generation i also get a report about possible missing firmware:

not sure what this means honestly
damentz
Reply Quote
Hmm, from your output, it looks like the Make script can't find execvp. Maybe use apt-file to find the package that owns this file?

And regarding the firmware, you should consider upgrading Ubuntu 16.04 to 17.04 - I suspect the firmware package for your version of Ubuntu is now too old to support the latest changes in Linux 4.11.

< Edited by damentz :: Jun 2, 17, 12:30 >

stevenpusser
Reply Quote
Firmware packages are also backwards-compatible, so you can just download and install the latest that Ubuntu offers: packages.ubuntu.com/artful/linux-firmware

You can also look in the file list to ensure that those missing files will be provided.
Filip98
Reply Quote
Apparently gcc cannot find cc1 and its not execvp that is missing,
i have verified this by running
:: Code ::
whereis cc1
gcc -print-prog-name=cc1

and they both output
cc1

with no path whatsoever

and tried to fix this by reinstalling various packages such as gcc and g++ as topics on the internet about this problem suggested but to no avail.
gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu 5.4.1-2ubuntu1~16.04) 5.4.1 20160904

ive checked /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/5.4.1 and /usr/lib/gcc/i686-linux-gnu/5.4.1 as i learned that cc1 is supposed to be in those but those folders are empty even after a reinstall.

on the other hand it seems that after updating linux-firmware using sudo gdebi i no longer have missing firmware, thanks stevenpusser :)

EDIT:The ugliest thing i could have done but i copied the cc1 file from the gcc6 folder and apparently now it works.. i can only imagine the future problems with anything depending on gcc tho so if anyone could offer an explanation as to why is it "installed" but not present in the folder its supposed to (and i have no memory of ever putting it somewhere else) go ahead and enlighten me
but i suppose i went out of context since my broken gcc is not related to liquorix