Lost passwords
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
I bought a used Win7 box and installed Siduction 14.1.0, KDE, amd64, 20141123. It ran OK, including passwords, so yesterday I installed smxi and ran it, including a monster d-u. Now it refuses my username and password, so I can't use it.
The keyboard seems OK, as I tried most keys in the "user" box.
Is there a way for a simple soul to fix this problem?
Meanwhile, I'm running TAILS 2.0, beta1 off a thumb drive and it's lovely.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm surprised you even got the siduction upgrade to work at all, most people fail because it's too old.

This is a question for #debian irc or debian forums, though it could have been some siduction conflict that removed the password data as well, which is why debian in general shouldn't be expected to handle derived distro issues.

I'd ask at siduction first.

Of all the things this may be, an smxi issue is not one of them.

I don't know if siduction is over, or what, but their notion of not releasing a new install iso for a sid based distro suggests it is.

Or that they hit some problem with their installer pll builder that they couldn't resolve.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
Thanks for that. I rather suspected that a d-u after such a log time might be biting off more than it can chew, but hope springs eternal, so I had to give it a try. I assumed that smxi was as good as ever, but wasn't sure where I'd gone wrong.
With an OP2 phone in my pocket, I use my desktop far less than before, so I'll persist with TAILS for a while (it's only a second box, anyway) and do a fresh Debian install later, if necessary.
TAILS is looking pretty good these days and is perhaps all I need for an older, spare box.
I love your scripts and your help is as reliable as ever.
Cheers...
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Trying to dist upgrade from such an old siduction release is pretty much a futile effort I'd say. Best to use the latest siduction ISO which is now 2015.1 I believe.

Dist upgrades are bound to break in weird ways after months or so.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It looks like siduction just uploaded a new install iso, 'paint it black', but unless they start releasing isos more than 1x a year, I have to largely consider siduction to be over as a distro.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
It looks like siduction just uploaded a new install iso, 'paint it black', but unless they start releasing isos more than 1x a year, I have to largely consider siduction to be over as a distro.

Yes it seems pretty quiet over on siduction forums...and Santa (the siduction KDE packager) has left so now they are migrating to standard Debian KDE 5 builds.