I need to hook up my new laptop to my desktop
vkaryl
Reply Quote
to transfer downloaded files, etc. I can do this with a straight-through cat5e cable, right? And my already existing networking stuff from Sygate?
jeffd
Reply Quote
Procedure to hook up machines:

You need the local network to be running through switch/hub, or you can connect directly with a cross over cable, that's got reversed wiring from a standard cat 5-6 networking cable. I'll assume you don't have a crossover cable. I'll also assume you have something like a switch hub, that can be either a standalone unit or you can use a multiport router.

Once the machines are connected to this mini-network, or directly connected with a crossover cable, you'll need to add both machines to a workgroup in Windows. This is easy, right click on the 'my computer' icon. Select 'properties', click on the 'network identification' tab. XP may be slightly different, I think it is, they've made it more obscure.

But the basic idea is the same, you need to add both machines to the same workgroup name. Then you need to add the users for each machine to each machines users, if you login as the same user, or don't login at all, you won't need to do this step I think.

Once each machine has both users on it, you can share the folders you want to access over the network, after that all you have to do to get to the folder is go to my network places. Be warned MS has had a long time bug that makes it hard to connect to other machines, that varies network to network.

Of course you also need microsoft networking, and file and printer sharing enabled for the machines, that's default I think so if you've never changed that you shouldn't need to do that.

If both are XP I think that's all, sometimes you have to add netbui protocols to the supported protocols in the networking area, but try it and see first.

I'd say more but I'll assume you will run into a problem somewhere along this line, so I'll wait to hear from you to see how it goes.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Okay - I was confused about what the cable is called. Otherwise I should be fine - before the old machine upstairs fried the RAM, I had the network set up and working just fine. I'll just move the laptop up there, connect to the inplace cable, and do my stuff.

Thanks!