Desktop freezes temporarily on I/O
teresaejunior
Reply Quote
I'm using 3.15.10-zen-686 on Debian Wheezy since a long time, but only today I decided to ask for help about this problem. When I'm doing some I/O intensive task, as a `apt-get upgrade', my whole desktop freezes, and then I have to wait for apt to finish the upgrade before I can continue working. It's as if all the priority is being given to I/O tasks. smartctl is reporting everything as OK.

Thanks for your attention!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's a very old kernel at this point, I suggest you try installing the current liquorix, 4.0 then see if the issues continue. There's very little point in trying to debug or spend time on issues from something that old.
teresaejunior
Reply Quote
OK, then I'll wait for 4.1: www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-41-power
stevepusser
Reply Quote
The standard Liquorix kernel headers won't install on Wheezy, since they depend on gcc-4.9. You can get backported Liquourix kernels and headers that are fully Wheezy-compatible in the MEPIS community repository.:

main.mepis-deb.org/
teresaejunior
Reply Quote
Which version of MEPIS there can be used on Wheezy, Steve? Will the Wheezy version still be maintained for the LTS?

If it is for MEPIS 12.0, I see you have xfce4-power-manager 1.4.4, which I failed to compile last week :P
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can also get smxi zipped kernels, I know I just changed the default gcc to 4.9 from 4.8, and the zipped liquorix kernels correspond roughly to the gcc versions in debian/ubuntu at the time of the liquorix release, but I can't tell you which ones work or don't work on wheezy. I would start with 3.19 and work your way back, or use the mepis ones.

Remember, it takes less time for you try these methods than it takes for us to type them, so it's better to try them first, then see what works, then ask again.
teresaejunior
Reply Quote
Right, thanks! Actually, I don't have problems with the gcc thing, since I know how to recompile Liquorix. I'm just waiting for the Linux 4.1 power improvements, and for that ext4 corruption fix upstream.

I just asked Stevo because I saw they have a lot of useful stuff on the MEPIS repositories. But I believe I already got the right answer to that question from Google.