sgfxi nvidia GTS 250 driver = no working display
topcat
Reply Quote
It was recommended that my problem be posted here, as kmathern over at Mepis Community Forum determined in solving my problem, that the sgfxi script is not properly treating the GTS 250 as a legacy driver.

In summary, sgfxi installs the 343.22 non-working driver when it should install the 340.46 nvidia driver.

See post at Mepis Community Forum here:

[new user link]

Let me know if you need anything further on this.

Regards,

...topcat
techAdmin
Reply Quote
show me inxi -Gxxx

I can't debug it without knowing the card id.

I followed nvidia's list of card ids for legacy support, but they could have missed one, or it could be some other issue.

Also run this command: sgfxi --debugger

that can be run as regular user, it will create a big debugger data file for me to use to debug it.
topcat
Reply Quote
Ok I'm not at my linux box now. But from my link above this is the card id info : PCI Vendor ID = 10de PCI Decice ID = 0615

:: Code ::
tom@mx1:~
$ lspci -n | grep -E '^[^[:space:]]+\.0[[:space:]]+(0300|0302|0380)' | grep -Eio '[a-f0-9]{4}:[a-f0-9]{4}'
10de:0615

According to the list here:

[link]

The GeForce GTS 250 0x0615 is a now legacy GPU listed under 340.xx

Tonight I'll run what you asked and post back.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia added more device ids to their list since I grabbed that data, sgfxi is now updated with their updated list.
topcat
Reply Quote
Ok Thanks...
topcat
Reply Quote
Ok last night sgfxi successfully installed the 340.46 driver. Thanks for taking care of this.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
thanks for the issue report, I had a feeling when doing the legacy 5 340.xxx driver list that it might be incomplete, I was right I guess, they added quite a few device ids to that list, but that's a lot better than trying to pick them out manually from online lists of cards, that's no fun at all, let me tell you.

Anyway, nvidia keeps taking care of its non free driver using customers, remember that when you make your next purchase decision, I was just consoling someone with an amd gpu laptop, device too new for radeon, and fglrx/catalyst fails on them, leaving them with.. basically junk system. Nobody drops gpu support faster than amd.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
thanks for the issue report, I had a feeling when doing the legacy 5 340.xxx driver list that it might be incomplete, I was right I guess, they added quite a few device ids to that list, but that's a lot better than trying to pick them out manually from online lists of cards, that's no fun at all, let me tell you.

Anyway, nvidia keeps taking care of its non free driver using customers, remember that when you make your next purchase decision, I was just consoling someone with an amd gpu laptop, device too new for radeon, and fglrx/catalyst fails on them, leaving them with.. basically junk system. Nobody drops gpu support faster than amd.

That's why I stick with NVidia or Intel GPU's in laptops as these are solid and backed by decent drivers.