Page: 1, 2, 3  Next

ATI Mobility 5470 HD
SteffoMint
Reply Quote
Hi,

I installed Linux Mint Debian Edition with the Cinnamon desktop and followed the known problems instructions:
www.linuxmint.com/rel_debian.php

The script seems to run fine but at the end I got this error messages:
:: Code ::
removing module drm....... failed

The worst thing is, after rebooting the machine the mdm and the x server doesn't run anymore. The log file says (among other things):
no screen found

My card is a hybrid card. It has an Intel device and an ATI device on it. Is in use in a HP G62 Laptop.

Has anyone an idea how I could solve this issue?
Works the sgfxi script with these hybrid cards and do I have to pay attention on a specific things?

I'd happy about any help, cause I'm really desperate at the moment.

Best,
SteffoMint

Systemseting:
Connamon-Version: 2.0.14
Linux-Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64
Prozessor: Intel i5
Graphic card 1: Intel integrated Grapfics Controller
Graphic card 2: Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430 / 5450 / 5470 (prog-if-00 [VGA Controller])

Beside my personal issue the sgfxi tool looks pretty cool and helpful.
So thanks a lot for that!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
removing module drm is irrelevant, however, post the output for this:

lspci

i think I know what the issue is.

Also post:

inxi -GISxx

then update inxi
inxi -U

then post inxi -GISxx
again.

Do it in exactly this order, this may explain some inexplicable issues I've been seing, I believe video cards at some point have changed the way they are listed in lspci.
SteffoMint
Reply Quote
Sounds promising, thanks a lot for your feedback! :)

Here we go with lspci:
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor DRAM Controller (rev 02)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor PCI Express x16 Root Port (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 06)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 05)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev 05)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev 05)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset USB2 Enhanced Host Controller (rev 05)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev a5)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 5 Series Chipset LPC Interface Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset 4 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset SMBus Controller (rev 05)
00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Thermal Subsystem (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470]
01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Cedar HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 5400/6300 Series]
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)
7f:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture Generic Non-core Registers (rev 05)
7f:00.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QuickPath Architecture System Address Decoder (rev 05)
7f:02.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Link 0 (rev 05)
7f:02.1 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor QPI Physical 0 (rev 05)
7f:02.2 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 05)
7f:02.3 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Core Processor Reserved (rev 05)

inxi -GISxx
# inxi -GISxx
System:    Host: themint Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14  dm: mdm Distro: LinuxMint 1 debian
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0046
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:68e0
           X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Info:      Processes: 174 Uptime: 23 min Memory: 873.7/3764.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45 running in gnome-terminal-) inxi: 1.9.14

Some problems with # inxi -U
Error 17: All inxi self updater features have been disabled by the distribution package maintainer. This includes the option you used: -U

# inxi -GISxx again due to the issue above no changes...
# inxi -GISxx
System:    Host: themint Kernel: 3.11-2-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.1)
           Desktop: Cinnamon 2.0.14  dm: mdm Distro: LinuxMint 1 debian
Graphics:  Card-1: Intel Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0046
           Card-2: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Park [Mobility Radeon HD 5430/5450/5470] bus-ID: 01:00.0 chip-ID: 1002:68e0
           X.org: 1.14.3 drivers: ati,radeon,intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) tty size: 88x26 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Info:      Processes: 172 Uptime: 26 min Memory: 876.6/3764.5MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.8.2
           Client: Shell (bash 4.2.45 running in gnome-terminal-) inxi: 1.9.14

techAdmin
Reply Quote
unfortunately, in your case, this issue, which is now corrected, where dual cards might not be detected, is not the cause, since they are detected. You are being asked which card to install to are you not? by sgfxi?

You'll have to post: /var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

ideally use pastebin.net and post the link.

My feeling now is that this is another lmde specific issue caused by something in lmde, but the logs will show me more.

You'll want to go to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and double check that file to see that the right bus-ID is used for the driver.
SteffoMint
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
You are being asked which card to install to are you not?

Yes. I can choose between
1. Intel
2. ATI / Radeon
I decided the second one.

Roger that. Here is the sgfxi.log
pastebin.com/Pvgib9PU

If I remember correctly I saw...
PCI:1:00:0

in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Unfortunately the file is deleted due to a restore of the root partition.

If it's necessary I'll run the script again and backup all needed files / logs.

Best & thanks for the help!
Steffo
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the drm thing doesn't matter I believe, in fact I should just log that data and hide it from the users to avoid confusion, if it mattered sgfxi would exit with error. For example, failing to unload radeon or nouveau means everything after will fail.

I see that the fixes I've added for lmde type systems are now working, ie, mdm is stopping, or claims to be.

First try this: sgfxi -B

that will install the new beta driver.

Second: check xorg.conf after the install, even if it fails, and make sure the:
inxi -Gxx

output shows the right bus id in xorg.conf. A frequent cause of failure is the wrong device being set, but Xorg.0.log will show that too, wrong device means wrong card, obviously if you tell the system to start intel with fglrx driver, that's not going to work.

Also show:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail -n 100

that should show the end of the xorg log where x failed, and maybe also the loading of fglrx, that's always very instructive.

However, the issues I already handled and fixed are working in your log, so that's good to see, the mdm shutdown command seems to be shutting down the desktop, the fake systemd stuff that's in lmde for some weird reason is not tricking sgfxi, so that's good.

The fglrx is installing without failure, so that's good. the patch is applying, though of course who knows if patches truly work, I don't.

So the next logical thing is to try the beta fglrx, which is much newer.

then if that fails, post:

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | tail -n 100
and we can see what caused the failure.

sgfxi will create a new xorg.conf file if it's missing, what's relevant there iis that the right bus id is set, nothing else really matters much unless something has changed.
SteffoMint
Reply Quote
Hi!

Now I've unexpected problems...
If I start sgfxi -B I can't select for which card I'd like to install the driver. Even if I start only sgfxi (without -B)! I've no idea why the selection is gone. I get only
(1) Exit

Do you have any idea what the reason is and how I can fix this? I restored more than ones the /boot and / partition. In the past I was always able to start sgfxi again without any problems.

Best,
Steffo
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There was a small bug there, it should now work.
SteffoMint
Reply Quote
Okay it works now. Thanks!. :)

1. I used sgfxi -B
The installation Log-Files is here:
pastebin.com/zYR4U3n4

2. With the xorg.conf I'm not sure. I'd like to show you the file:
pastebin.com/LX7g0CgP
Is this spelling and the position of "PCI:0:1:0" correct?
Is the whole xorg.conf correct?

3. Last but not least the xorg.0.log
pastebin.com/8GyYV0P8

Of course the mdm doesn't start after rebooting the system. I got some green sign in the top left corner. No command line, no desktop, restore was necessary. :(

BTW one question: Do I've to run
aticonfig --initial

after running the script / installation?

What do you thing about the problem? Should I throw the laptop out of my window ? :D

Thanks
SteffoMint
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it's obvious to me that aticonfig totally messed up your xorg.conf file, just look at it, you have I think 7 monitors and 7 devices, all the same device.

If course nothing is working.

Tell me precisely what you did to create your xorg.conf file, for example, have you run aticonfig or done anything at all? What was the default when you instlaled mint? I have long suspected that mint is messing something up, and your xorg.conf file strongly points in that direction. I would like to see default mint xorg.conf, in normal modern use none is required for default installs, the system detects and loads either intel, nouveau, or radeon, which in general do not require xorg.conf, with one exception, dual video cards. Did you click something in mint that says, select or create xorg.conf? Did your desktop boot into graphics mode correctly when you first installed mint?

You have to totally get rid of that monstrosity, which of course can never work, and you must stop doing random commands like using aticonfig for ANYTHING, EVER!!!

Start sgfxi again like this:

sgfxi -z -B

that will move your badly destroyed xorg.conf file and replace it with a properly generated one, then that file will be used by sgfxi to create a properly configured xorg, at which point everything will magically work, or should work. If it fails to work, post your xorg.conf file again, and we'll take a look.

Once you have that done, and we have stripped out these monstrosities in the broken xorg.conf, we can then actually spend our time somewhat productively on seeing if there is an issue at all.

Please tell me EXACTLY what you have done, versus what the system was defaulted to, in this process. In the future, I will ask all mint users to show me their xorg.conf file BEFORE I proceed another step, and if it turns out that the issue is caused by mint configuration of xorg.conf, or if there are bad directions about creating xorg.conf that mint users are following, file bug reports and get the stuff fixed on your end.

-z moves the xorg.conf and creates a real one, using native X conf creator commands. There is a reason sgfxi does not use the amd aticonfig tool, it's always been an abomination.
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next