FYI Nvidia drivers
sedonix
Reply Quote
Courtesy of the "devil".

nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3473

I like to keep informed since my Nvidia card is going from old to ancient soon.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ah, a new legacy driver, wonder what it will be in linux.

304 was for 6/7xxx but sgfxi doesn't currently identify the 8/9xxx series, that's going to be tedium, sigh, creating those driver support lists is really really boring.

Probably will be the 334 I'd guess.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
The latest update is that the 340.xx series will be the last to support GeForce 8/9 as well as all other pre-Fermi cards including Quadro so in effect ALL of the older nVidia cards made will become legacy and Fermi series cards will be the only card series supported in the mainline binary driver.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA1MTA2OTY1L3NpZC9QUGo2WTFabA%3D%3D

just so I have it here as a reminder. So I'll have to create the id detection for the 8/9xxx series, that's tedious, now that 340 is stable current. 304 has longer support than I thought.

:: Quote ::
The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

The Linux 304.* legacy driver series is the last to support the NV4x and G7x GPUs and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 304.* legacy releases through the end of 2017.

Support for X.Org xserver version 1.15 was added to the 173.14.* legacy driver series with version 173.14.39. No further releases from the 173.14.* series are planned.

Support for X.Org xserver version 1.12 was added to the 96.43.* legacy driver series with version 96.43.23. No further releases from the 96.43.* series are planned.

No further releases from the 71.86.* legacy driver series are planned.

DeepDayze
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3142/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA1MTA2OTY1L3NpZC9QUGo2WTFabA%3D%3D

just so I have it here as a reminder. So I'll have to create the id detection for the 8/9xxx series, that's tedious, now that 340 is stable current. 304 has longer support than I thought.

:: Quote ::
The Linux 340.* legacy driver series is the last to support the G8x, G9x, and GT2xx GPUs, and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 340.* legacy releases through the end of 2019.

The Linux 304.* legacy driver series is the last to support the NV4x and G7x GPUs and motherboard chipsets based on them. Support for new Linux kernels and X servers, as well as fixes for critical bugs, will be included in 304.* legacy releases through the end of 2017.

Support for X.Org xserver version 1.15 was added to the 173.14.* legacy driver series with version 173.14.39. No further releases from the 173.14.* series are planned.

Support for X.Org xserver version 1.12 was added to the 96.43.* legacy driver series with version 96.43.23. No further releases from the 96.43.* series are planned.

No further releases from the 71.86.* legacy driver series are planned.

Do you already have code in sgfxi to warn users with GeForce 5xxxx and below that there is no longer any real support for these cards in the binary driver? After a while you can then strip out that old detection for those cards
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi has extensive xorg/kernel version tests that run and alert users when no support exists for the driver they selected.

So when nvidia stops releasing new legacy drivers for say, 5xxx, well, they already have, then as long as you run an old system, it will work, but once you have a newer xorg or kernel, it will fail.