Finishing smxi.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
Just a suggestion:
After I run through the lot, including d-u, continuing on to graphics driver install, I need to reboot into the new kernel, but the options are only to start the window manager, or exit.
It's not too hard to exit, then do "reboot -n", but a reboot option would make it even easier.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There is a reboot option, when a new kernel is installed via smxi it knows that, and tells you that you need to reinstall the graphics driver, and if it's nvidia, lets you do that before you reboot. With amd/fglrx I think it will just tell you you need to reboot, and not offer the gfx install option, if I remember right.

This option is passed to sgfxi as well, and it will ask if you want to reboot.

If this is not happening either you are missing it, or there's a bug. This is a very old feature and has not be changed in a long time, or you are maybe exiting at the wrong place, not sure.
sedonix
Reply Quote
Tricky question.

I've been using smxi & sgfxi so long, I barely look at the screen.

So I just did a random kernel install with smxi and there is a reboot option when it is done as well as after the driver install.

Now if you were to install a new kernel through apt-get and then use smxi, there is no reboot option until after the driver install.

If you just go through smxi and don't do a kernel install, there is also no reboot option since there is no reason to.

In other words, at the end of smxi, you get only options to #8: start the desktop or #9 : quit.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I have a faint memory that smxi also tried to check if apt installed a new kernel, but it's possible that only worked with grub1 menu.lst file, not sure. I do seem to remember that at one point it could see that apt had installed a kernel, but I'd have to check.
paleoflatus
Reply Quote
It seems that there's something odd about my system. I'll look closely during my next trot through smxi and report in.
I'm reasonably sure that I've had the reboot option previously, so I'll dump and re-install smxi, anyway.