Correct order for installing a web server
ckosloff
Reply Quote
smxi is not really useful inside a VPS: apart from launching problems, I find that it is not needed, as very few packages will be installed.
smxi states that it can install a webserver with "packages in the correct order".
I would rather know what is this correct order, rather than trusting install to package tasksel.
Also, what version of apache install to work with php5, mpm-prefork?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
mpm-prefork, yes, the latest one, php 5.5, mysql 5.5, if you are using mysql and not another db, the order is in the smxi code, in sm-lib-package-install. I wouldn't generalize about vps setups, some will work well, others will not, re smxi, it's individual, it depends on what vm is used, if it's xen, kernel stuff, or vmware/vbox types. Lots of options in a vm setup. Some vps setups are almost just a 'jail' like on bsd, others are a complete, full os, everything. Some use a shared kernel, which means any smxi feature that deals with kernels will not work.

In general I'd recommend against using smxi for live webservers, not because it's not safe, but because a server setup should not be created if you don't know what is what.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
sm-lib-package-install
You should really remove rapache from line 126, it has nothing to do with a web server.
I agree that the main reason for not using smxi in a live server is that you need to know what you are doing.
It works fine for my local computer and server though, but many more packages are installed.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
One of the nice features of smxi package install is I don't need to really update the package lists that often because smxi checks to make sure there is an installation candidate for each item before trying to install it, makes upkeep easier.

The server section of smxi is ok in general but does need updating now and then since the problem with debian is that once you install it and run it correctly, you generally do not need to reinstall, unless of course you move to 64 bit from 32, in that single case it's very hard to upgrade to 64 bit from 32, although not impossible.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
There is no installation candidate for rapache anywhere in Debian, maybe some derivative has it.
So we should be good there.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
rapache was removed from the apache installer a long time ago. Just because the name is left in the code doesn't mean that it's being offered.

In fact, I believe it may have been you who noted it was not installable, and I removed it then from the install options, it was the apache configuration tool I guess.

Since it was not offered as an install option, it's commented out, it's unclear to me why you even are asking about it in the first place at this point, especially since it was removed a long time ago based on your own observation it had no installation candidate.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
I removed it then from the install options, it was the apache configuration tool I guess.

Yes, I am the suspect who is attempting to contribute to smxi.
launchpad.net/rapache
is the apache config tool
rapache.net is the home of rApache, a tool for statisticians.
I just wanted to suggest a clean-up of the code, sorry.