smxi/sgfxi with systemd now
techAdmin
Reply Quote
If your system uses systemd for init functions, start, stop, desktop etc, smxi/sgfxi 'should' now in theory work with it.

I had to use a vm to test, so I don't really know if things work as intended.

signs of unexpected results are:

start smxi in x, then pick the kill x option. If x respawns, restarts that is, something isn't working right.

If you end up at a regular root login, then login and go on your merry way.

Signs of other failures: on completion, when you restart x with sgfxi/smxi, check with ctrl alt f1 to make sure that tty is logged out. I'm not positive on the logic I used there, but I believe it should work. If the tty is still running, then that may be a bug, not sure yet, but I think it's a bug.

smxi/sgfxi logs have been updated to give me a fair amount of debugging data, so post the full log from /var/logs/ as well if posting an issue report.

Arch users now run systemd by default, but I don't know if there are many arch users of sgfxi who read these forums.

Siduction's new release is running systemd, and it's what I used to test many features/debug data etc.

Siduction appears to have left in a lot of the old init.d scripts however so it may not be a totally pure systemd release, but it's a good start for debian imo.

Once I have this figured out, I'll add some more output to inxi to show/reflect what is actually running user systems, should be helpful. upstart is the least obvious in terms of detecting its presence, but I'll find some method somewhere.

The trick here is to detect that the init system is actually in control, ie, not just installed or something. I believe I have this figured out with systemd, I do not have it figured out with upstart, and I have no real idea how to detect if it's sysvinit, or any other basic type init system.

I saw no issues with an upstart running live cd however, all current inxi features work fine so that's fine.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
UPDATE 1: due to unexpected behaviors when I stopped the getty tty, ie, the tty simply being turned off, that's the target of multi-user.target, which functions like init 3 with init 3/5 type sysv, I had to remove the atempts in smxi/sgfxi to kill / exit root on script termination.

I'll need to collect more data to find if there is a better method to use, but for now, smxi/sgfxi in ssystemd will leave root logged in tty after x restart, oh well.

If you know the safe way to close the root login in systemd let me know.