sgfxi error 196 and download fail
Durosuka
Reply Quote
some simple info.
Me = noob
using linux mint 16 cineman 64-bit
graphics card: AMD Radeon 7970
I also have smxi installed

right, I did download the 13.9 driver from AMD website manually but I ended up losing my desktop completely. reinstalled OS

so then I saw this script and the praise its getting. its sort of my last hope

running the script, it got to the stage of where it was downloading the driver. it stopped after about half a second then game me the error code 196 saying it failed to extract. naturally it was a failed download, but for the life of me I can't get it to re download it. it keeps targeting the failed download

any way I could copy the 13.9.zip file to where ever the script is running? I am a little new to the linux console so I don't know all the commands for copy and such.
could I also tell the sgfxi that I've already downloaded/extracted the .zip file?

Thanks in advance for any and all help
techAdmin
Reply Quote
remove the 13.9 file from /usr/src/downloads/sgfxi

then run sgfxi again, something changed at amd, it should work now.
Durosuka
Reply Quote
deleted it
ran the script
failed again

ok now I know where it puts the file. let me see if a manual download works (with rename and whatever)

UPDATE:

didn't work

it appears there is isn't a 13.9 driver for linux. Only a windows version. meaning the script is getting confused somehow.

I can't install 13.4 driver. According to the script my kernel isn't compatible with it. So I'm going to later try the 13.11 Beta driver and try to trick the script into using that one instead. For now I've got other things on my plate. I'll update later.

I'm also open to any suggestions you guys have
techAdmin
Reply Quote
amd has changed something, again, in their never ending quest to make supporting them harder than necessary. Not sure what the issue is at this point, but it's something.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I've added debugging data and error handling for this zip issue, amd has changed their packaging again, why? who the heck knows, but they have.

For now things should be a bit smoother in terms of the failure messages, and sgfxi will exit at this point with a clear error.

This does not fix the problem, it just makes the sgfxi handling of the problem more user friendly.

If amd is trying to get people to stop using their trash this is a great way to do it, that's for sure.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The bug is now fixed and fglrx should work.

I suggest using -B for now, I will see if I can force that for 13.9 ie use beta automatically for now, but it's unlikely that I can.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi now forces 13.11 beta install for standard 13.9, there's no elegant way to do this, so it is what it is.

The only way to not force that is to use the -o option to force a specific driver install.

It's worth noting that amd is offering 13.11 beta6 as their current default driver however on their website, why they don't then offer it as current stable and just release a stable version is beyond me, but that company isn't coherent so who knows or cares why they do what they do at this point in history.
Durosuka
Reply Quote
Thank you Mr techAdmin for your advice

you guys can mark as resolved if you like

What I did:

updated the script
reran using -B
download failed (again, might be AMD's fault)
manual download of driver version 13.11 v6 from AMD site
copy past to /usr/src/sgfxi-downloads/
ran:
:: Code ::
sudo sgfxi -B

installed the driver
reboot
got told it needs configuring
sat for an hour on low level terminal (ctrl+alt+f1) with the aticonfig command trying to set the dam thing up with the wiki page open on my tablet
:: Code ::
aticonfig --initial

that seems to have worked

thanks again guys. I really appreciate it[/b]
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The issue was not solved since every step you took means it was not solved, in this case, there was a bug in sgfxi that broke the download, that's fixed now.