Google Chrome taskbar/backgrounds red after update
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I did a big upgrade on my Debian Sid system, and while it was running I noticed a long string of these errors:

:: Code ::
(gtk-update-icon-cache-3.0:3113): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being..

but the error went away by the end, so I never ran the command.

Everything was fine when I launched into the new system, except my google chrome, version 31 now I believe, showed all red tabs/frame/controls, which of course makes it look really bad.

It took me a while to find the actual cause, which in fact was the above error, thanks antix forums for the reminder, so I ran, as root:

:: Code ::
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache

and re-opened Chrome and all was good again. This bug happens fairly often, it's not actually a Chrome issue, it's a debian gkt-pixbuf-query-loaders issue, this type of glitch has been happening for years now, so I'm just adding this posting to serve as a reminder if it happens to you.

The above paths may change on a new version of gtk-pixbuf, so make sure to take notes on the path if you see this error during your upgrade so you can run the command.

ScrLck on your keyboard halts the upgrade output so you can write down the command to run, in case you didn't know that.

So all is well, off we go on our merry debian way.

As usual with Debian, if something doesn't work after an upgrade, there's pretty much always a way to fix it, unless it's in the actual package itself.