liquorix vs. siduction kernel's size
dark-D
Reply Quote
in my wait for the 3.8 liquorix kernel, i installed the siduction one. and now that liquorix is out, i installed it too. i noticed that the liquorix kernel is 113mb and the siduction one is 76mb of size. is this from the liquorix patches or is the siduction team removing stuff from theirs? thanks.
damentz
Reply Quote
Where are you getting these numbers? I see a source package (which is only downloaded if you want the source) as big as 80mb compressed with bz2, otherwise the image and headers together are about 30mb.

On disk, you're looking at 160mb in /lib/modules, unless you use filesystem compression.
dark-D
Reply Quote
i got the numbers from apt-get install and apt-get purge commands on the different kernels. i only use the image for the kernels, not the headers as i don't need to compile anything.
teresaejunior
Reply Quote
If I can recall the guys at Siduction have removed the binary blobs too.

@dark-D that means some hardware that depends on those non-free blobs won't work without them. It is more of a political thing.
damentz
Reply Quote
Yes, good point, I forgot about that. I keep the non-free firmware blobs incase they're needed. As far as I know, in Debian, udev still check's the kernel's specific firmware folder in /lib/firmware.