Page: Previous  1, 2

efi360
Reply Quote
Thanks for the update !
I wanted to give it a try but for some reason when I ctrl alt f1 its dropping me down into console but there is no text just black screen. I was having that problem with Nividia from time to time now also with AMD maybe its a xorg thing. I know its dropping me down to console because I Typed root and entered my password blindly and just to see if it took commands I typed reboot and it did so terminal works just cant see what I am typing. I know I cant use sgfxi in X so am trying to figure out how to fix this. I have to see what its asking/saying to me I don’t have the sequence down to memory
efi360
Reply Quote
OK got no text in console black screen thing worked out so was able to use sgfxi -B and all worked flawlessly. Thanks H2 /TechAdmin :-)

Also as a side note did some googling and found this for anyone using AMD beta who wishes to get rid of silly beta watermark logo in lower right hand corner. This worked great for me, No more logo with no other issues

Edit the ati signature file:

sudo gedit /etc/ati/signature

and just replace the "UNSIGNED" line with the following code

:: Code ::

9777c589791007f4aeef06c922ad54a2:ae59f5b9572136d99fdd36f0109d358fa643f2bd4a2644d9efbb4fe91a9f6590a145:f612f0b01f2565cd9bd834f8119b309bae11a1ed4a2661c49fdf3fad11986cc4f641f1ba1f2265909a8e34ff1699309bf211a7eb4d7662cd9f8e3faf14986d92f646f1bc

You have to log out log back in before its gone.

< Edited by efi360 :: Mar 27, 13, 6:29 >

efi360
Reply Quote
oh and for anyone dealing with black screen no text thing after cntrl alt f1 I found the answer here which worked for me.

askubuntu.com/questions/162535/why-does-switching-to-the-tty-give-me-a-blank-screen
techAdmin
Reply Quote
please post the full contents of: /etc/ati/signature

I may be able to automate a fix for that, though I'll only do it if that fix works for all beta drivers, not just the current 13.3 one.
efi360
Reply Quote
Well mine now has the new code so if i paste it it will only show the new code .The only thing in the file was the word UNSIGNED that’s all nothing else so replaced it with the code.It was just a empty file with one word in it

UNSIGNED
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Ok, that should be easy to check.
New AMD Driver
efi360
Reply Quote
FYI not sure if your aware but there is now a new stable driver for AMD 13.4
Funny thing is they are still showing the beta which should have a higher number as 13.3 ....... AMD is all screwed up LoL
I downloaded it directly and installed works fine with 3.8 kernel. sgfxi was still wanting to install 13.3 with -B option and 13.1 with out

as per here
support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/linux/Pages/radeon_linux.aspx?type=2.4.1&product=2.4.1.3.42&lang=English
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's been in sgfxi since yesterday, always double check via: sgfxi -Ld
(sample section of current)
:: Code ::
SECTION: FGLRX
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fglrx Main Drivers:
DEFAULT: 13.4 :: PREVIOUS 1: 13.1 :: PREVIOUS 2: 12.10
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Fglrx Beta Drivers:

before assuming a driver is not supported.

That version information comes from the live sgfxi on the server and is updated hourly.

However, it's worth noting that amd once again changed their download file path name, which is something they do every year or so, a little thing by itself, but it shows me that internally they just are not competent because creating a simple consistent and reliable name, say, catalyst-driver or whatever, and sticking to that, is just a basic thing any good programmer can do. For example, smxi is smxi, sgfxi is sgfxi, inxi is inxi, and those don't change, because once the name was selected and created, that's that, you live with it.

Luckily sgfxi has now built in logic to handle these pointless and random and silly amd driver file name changes, so it's easy enough to update that, though the fact that I had to add such a feature just to support their inability to have a consistent file path/driver file name is sort of pathetic.

The other part this pointless change broke was my fglrx version detection script that runs automatically, the new file name made the script unable to detect the change, so I didn't get the alert that it had changed. That's also updated now, something I have to do maybe once every 5 years, give or take a bit, for nvidia, but every year, or more, for amd/ati.

It's little things like this that show me how or why a company has a bad programming culture, and amd seems to have directly imported that bad culture when they absorbed ati, which also did that routinely, along with dropping support for video cards still on the market as new cards, of course. That latter fact is why I no longer test amd drivers on my systems, I bought two cards for the test system, and both of them amd dropped support a few months later, so I swore I'd never buy an amd card again for non free driver testing, but I do use them for standard 2d simple desktop cards running radeon xorg driver, in fact I prefer amd for that application, but only for that one.

What makes supporting amd drivers even harder for me is their totally incoherent support statements, the actual release notes for 13.4 say it supports only kernel 3.5. And xorg 1.13. I believe 1.13 is correct but you're saying that 3.5 is wrong?

How exactly I have to ask is anyone supposed to support this stuff when amd can't even get a simple release note right?

nvidia isn't perfect, but when they add: support for latest kernels, without specifying which ones, to the release notes for a new driver, you can generally safely assume that means the current stable linux kernel branch, whatever that is at the moment of release, since their devs run those kernels obviously.
efi360
Reply Quote
OK Thanks
sgfxi -Ld is good to know will be nice to see driver version before install.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi -h shows the local sgfxi drivers, but I added -Ld specifically so you could see what the remote live sgfxi has in it, a script on the server simply parses sgfxi on the server then creates the file that -Ld parses and shows.

Since sgfxi always auto-updates that means whatever -Ld shows is what is live.

With the exception, the interval between my updating sgfxi on server and script updating the -Ld data file, 59 minutes max time since it updates every hour.
Page: Previous  1, 2