Page: 1, 2  Next

ATI Driver Install failed with 3.7.0-1.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64
Chris
Reply Quote
Hi everyone!

I get error messages during installation of ATI driver v8.982.

:: Code ::
Detected a previous installation, /usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh
Dryrun uninstall succeeded continuing with installation.
Check if system has the tools required for installation.
Uninstalling any previously installed drivers.
Forcing uninstall of AMD Catalyst(TM) Proprietary Driver.
No integrity verification is done.
restore of system environment completed
Uninstall fglrx driver complete.
For detailed log of uninstall, please see /etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log
System must be rebooted to avoid system instability and potential data loss.
/usr/share/ati/amd-uninstall.sh completed with 0
[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.
AMD kernel module generator version 2.1
doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher
rm -rf *.c *.h *.o *.ko *.a .??* *.symvers
make -C /lib/modules/3.7.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.7.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64'
  CC [M]  /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_MEM_AllocLinearAddrInterval’:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2131:5: error: implicit declaration of function ‘do_mmap’ [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:2131:13: warning: cast to pointer from integer of different size [-Wint-to-pointer-cast]
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function ‘KCL_MEM_VM_MapRegion’:
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3880:39: error: ‘VM_RESERVED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:3880:39: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[2]: *** [/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [_module_/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x] Fehler 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-headers-3.7.0-1.dmz.6-liquorix-amd64'
make: *** [kmod_build] Fehler 2
build failed with return value 2
[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to compile kernel module - please consult readme.
[Reboot] Kernel Module : update-initramfs

With Liquorix Kernel 3.6 everything works fine.

Can anybody help me.

Greets
techAdmin
Reply Quote
some header paths changed in 3.7, and the installer has to be patched for that change. At least that's one change, who knows what else ati/amd failed to do in their driver, personally I no longer spend time tracking their failures in sgfxi, but I will update it to note no support for 3.7, I suspected that would be the case.

This has NOTHING to do with liquorix, file the issue report on amd/ati forums, where you will probably find a patch as well. In the old days I used to track amd/ati closely, but their consistent pattern of failure and poor code made me finally drop any attempt at bleeding edge support.

You already have the fix however, run 3.6, then wait for amd/ati to release a driver that supports 3.7. What you should not ever do is expect support for bleeding edge kernels, sometimes that exists by chance, if say, 3.6 changed nothing of substance from 3.5 or 3.4, amd will continue to work, but that's just a pure coincidence. To run catalyst amd/ati, don't run bleeding edge software, this has been known for almost half a decade, or more, now, the sooner you learn that the happier you will be.

I don't follow their inner numbers, have you tried the latest beta of 12-11 yet? I know it's 2013, but that's their most recent driver. 12-10 I think is their most recent stable driver.
Chris
Reply Quote
Hi guys

Sorry for delay ;)

There is a patch for 3.7 Kernel:

ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2074962

Pls read post #3

Greets

Chris
Patch
erickwill
Reply Quote
Hi Chris,

I wonder if you were able to apply the 3.7 patch to amd/radeon driver.
I just wish to upgrade to the latest kernel, however the amd/radeon driver bug is holding me to do that.

Cheers
Erick
erickwill
Reply Quote
I am facing problems to recompile the driver after applied the patch.
Anyone have any clue?
I tried to recompiling using Debian/sid, Debian/testing.. and all these variants gave me a error about "Debian rule is missing"..
techAdmin
Reply Quote
don't waste your time with creating the deb package, just do the direct install, those package building scripts have been consistently broken since who knows when.

If I motivate I'll add the fglrx patches to sgfxi. big if.
erickwill
Reply Quote
Hi, if you could help in any way, because I really would like to use the latest kernel, however, without loose the ati driver.
Appreciate any clue, because in fact, seems impossible to compile those deb files and install without mess gdm3 and other stuffs.
Cheers
techAdmin
Reply Quote
you don't need to compile the deb files, as I said just run the installer directly, I gave up on fglrx distro deb file generation years ago, the build scripts are almost always broken.

The most reliable way is to download the run package, extract it, patch it, then run it directly, forget all about the debs, you don't need those and they don't do anything you need anyway.
erickwill
Reply Quote
Thanks for your reply.
I already run the installer itself, however, it doesn't installed successfully, I mean, Gnome 3 got disable and acceleration got messed. I read in a few forums that this is due to the kernel 3.7 and 3.8 that doesn't works with ati legacy driver and to get it working it's necessary to use a patch that would make the trick.
Is there anyway to patch the run file, extracting it, patching and then repacking it as run file again?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ah, you need to show: inxi -bxx

before anything else. If you run a legacy amd/ati card, then you are of course out of luck and should not be trying to run new kernels or new xorgs. Legacy in amd's sense simply means the reasonably new card series they decided to cut support for because amd just is not doing very well as a company in terms of making money, which is why they laid off a big chunk of their linux group recently.

There's no patch to make a legacy fglrx driver work on xorg 1.13 or 3.7 kernel as far as I know. But I won't spend any more time on this until you show your system specs with inxi.

Next time buy nvidia, you'll be much happier, just remember that. Unless you want to use the free xorg driver, then you're fine. If it works for you.

Now, pretending for the moment you have a post ati/amd hd4xxxx series card, the procedure has never changed:

download run package, now a zip package
extract zip to run
run the extract command on the run package
patch the extracted
run the ati installer script that is contained in the extracted package.

sgfxi does all this of course, but I don't have the fglrx patches for 3.7 yet, really why bother, 3.8 is just about to be released, it's a rat race, heh. I took a quick look at the patches linked to here, and they looked somewhat typically messy, ideally a patch file is one and only one file, with the patches actually tested and working, and clean. Sometimes I have to use 2, but that's generally not required if they were made correctly in the first place.
Page: 1, 2  Next