kexec is useful for me
akovalenko
Reply Quote
Hello,

I wonder why kexec feature is disabled in 3.7.0-2. I've noticed that it is described as "useless" in the changelog entry. As any optional feature, it is useless to some people while useful to others, and I happen to belong to the latter. The details are probably uninteresting, but still:

My LCD monitor doesn't pass correct DDC information on DVI cable. That's probably why my NVIDIA card has a weird behavior during BIOS initialization: when both analog and DVI cables are connected, it disables VGA output, but doesn't enable DVI output, so the screen remains blank till Xorg starts up (CustomEDID option fixes things for X + Nvidia driver). That's why I have to disconnect DVI before power-cycling or reboot if I want to see linux console messages.

That's also why I appreciate kexec feature: nothing breaks if BIOS is not reinitialized, so I can upgrade kernel without unplugging and plugging DVI cable, while retaining usable console.

If there are any reason for disabling kexec in liquorix kernels, beyond "who on earth will use THAT", well, I can live without it. These days I don't track kernel development process -- maybe this feature was officially declared obsolete? Or maybe it conflicts with some of liquorix patches? But if it's just a matter of taste, please reenable it again: after all, it has no effect unless kexec-tools are installed, so it seems unlikely to cause unexpecting problems for anyone who does not care.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
you've given about as clear a reason to have that feature enabled as I can think of, ie, that case nobody would think of but which is still there for you.

I suspect that if there is no actual negative for reenabling it, damentz will do so, or post why it's not a wise idea.
damentz
Reply Quote
Sorry, I was going through doing cleanup and never heard anything of kexec being used by anyone - I thought it was an exclusive feature some people only used correctly in business environments. It'll be re-enabled in the next package.