display doesn't come back from deep stand-by
dark-D
Reply Quote
if i leave the laptop idle for a longer period of time (about 30min) when i come back i have no power to the display. the system is running and i can change music from the keys or shutdown, but nothing wakes-up the monitor. didn't noticed this on 3.6.11, also i have this xorg.conf for years now.
:: Code ::
Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "DontZap" "Off"
   Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "true"
   Option "BlankTime" "3"
   Option "OffTime" "5"
EndSection

from what i have seen if it idles for 3 min and goes to blank screen if i move the mouse it turns on, same for 5+ min. the problem occurs after longer idles i can't specify the exact period of time.
inxi -b
System:    Host: hell Kernel: 3.7.0-1.dmz.1-liquorix-686 i686 (32 bit) Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.2 Distro: antiX sid
Machine:   System: LENOVO (portable) product: 89329WU version: ThinkPad R61/R61i
           Mobo: LENOVO model: 89329WU Bios: LENOVO version: 7OETC3WW (2.23 ) date: 05/12/2009
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5250 (-MCP-) clocked at 1000.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary)
           X.Org: 1.12.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1280x800@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel 965GM x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.5
Network:   Card-1: Broadcom NetLink BCM5787M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express driver: tg3
           Card-2: Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection driver: iwl3945
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 120.0GB (82.8% used)
Info:      Processes: 108 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 218.1/999.2MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.26

techAdmin
Reply Quote
dark-D, try commenting out those

Option "BlankTime" "3"
Option "OffTime" "5"

and restart xorg, I had issues with 3.6 and 3.7 kernels and my old xorg.conf for mouse, in my case mouse just didn't work, when I removed the mouse sections completely everything worked normally. That's because I had had mouse issues in the past with a kernel change, and then the kernel guys must have actually fixed the cause which made my patches to xorg.conf then break the mouse.

I removed all input device mouse sections and the call to them

# InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"

but in your case I'd try removing those flags first.
dark-D
Reply Quote
EDIT: hahaha, just i was checking the post for spelling and consistency the monitor entered blanktime, the one set at 3 min, and as soon as it did that i moved the mouse and it wouldn't came out of it. it is definitely something wrong in the last stable kernel. if i can't find out what is to blame, i will set them all at 0. (blanktime, standbytime, suspendtime and offtime). such a shame, i like to powersave as much as i can.
damentz
Reply Quote
dark-D, do you think this bug is related? bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51921

Maybe you can find a way to get the output of dmesg to a file before you do a restart.
dark-D
Reply Quote
hello damentz, looks about right. if my logs help maybe you can add them to that report, as i don't have an account there.
can you give me a command for terminal so i can use dmesg to a folder? because i have all my applications on key bindings and i can type it blindly.
also, here is what i retrieved:
this is the kern.log for the second post:
pastebin.com/3mMkyFWs
this is kern.log at 4:30 the latest error:
pastebin.com/3HiDeB23
this is /var/log/dmesg at 4:32 this is the time that is shown as the creation of the file:
pastebin.com/xf4MzCvw
damentz
Reply Quote
$ dmesg > ~/dmesg-output.txt

Also, can you try the newest kernel that's out? I had a feature enabled named rcu_boost which is known to conflict with BFS. It may have also caused the bad behavior on your system.
dark-D
Reply Quote
ok i can confirm two things about the error:
-first is that it is occurring on the 3.7.1-2 kernel.
-second is that it gives the error with no relation to the above stated monitor settings for powersave. it manifested while i was browsing or watching youtube.

here is the dmesg saved to a file:
pastebin.com/upscDAYc
damentz
Reply Quote
Can you try the suggestion on LKML? It appears that forcing SNA acceleration in X could work around the issue. You might need to do this until someone identifies which patch caused you problems:

lkml.org/lkml/2012/10/29/77

Section "Device"
        Option     "AccelMethod" "SNA"
        Identifier  "Card0"
        Driver      "intel"
EndSection

Also, this bug is a high visibility item on the LKML. I'll be watching for any fixes. Will be monitoring for any new patches to test on bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=56916.
dark-D
Reply Quote
using SNA and no sign of the error, so far.
Info:      Processes: 101 Uptime: 13:52 Memory: 422.9/998.8MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.8.26