NEWBIE smxi: Where's the log? Bad grub install? (SOLVED)
twixter
Reply Quote
I use LMDE on a 64 bit machine, on a dual boot with Windows 7. I recently installed UP6 in console mode with smxi. Everything seems to have gone well, but I did notice a warning about how I have grub installed. It said something to the effect that installing grub in a partition was a BAD IDEA. I would like to access the log of the session, so I can reread that warning, but I don't know where the log is.

My first question is, where should I have looked, to figure out where the log is on my own, without wasting other people's time?

And of course, please, where is the log of the console session? On the web page techpatterns.com/forums/about736.html it says that smxi "has full logging" so I assume there is a log somewhere on my machine.

And if you already know about this warning of which I speak, where can I get further information on why smxi doesn't like my grub install?

Thanks for your time and attention.

Jonathan

< Edited by twixter :: Dec 22, 12, 3:20 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
the grub2 warning about installing to a partition is just babble from overly anal devs.

There's no problem at all installing grub2 to partition,not mbr.

smxi logs itself and a some other things, but the grub2 thing isn't one of them.

smxi logs are /var/log/smxi.log but those are primarily designed to help me figure out weird user issues with smxi, or basic smxi bugs.

I have no idea if or where grub has log files for the install.

It wasn't smxi complaining about grub, it was grub complaining,you can tell the difference because smxi output has colors and system commands output is white usually in console mode, well, it's the same color as your normal console font color to be accurate.

basically that grub2 warning was just anotherway grub2 found ways to be user unfriendly and harder to use and more confusing to use than any new replacement tool should be for a globally distribured operating system like gnu/linux.