Power regression with kernel 3.6 ?
ej64
Reply Quote
Hi there,

using the liquorix 3.6 kernel I observe some kind of power regression with my Thinkpad x220, i5

Having all the fixes at hand (see ASPM fix for PCIe power regression for reference) this time it's different:

Whenever I boot up with line power attached the notebook burns ~ 25 W and easily gets quite hot. Deattaching the PS doesn't change anything. If I boot on battery power anything's fine as usual with a consumption of ~ 6 W. And again, attaching the PS doesn't change this. Seems there's some kind of lock-in to the initial power state.

With the latest ubuntu kernel 3.7.0-4 it's the same. So in the first place it's not a liquorix regression.

Is this a bug or a feature? Any ideas how to solve this? How this regression or "feature" was committed?
ej64
Reply Quote
Sorry for being impatient ...

Looks like the bug is solved with a patch that has been merged in Linux v3.7-rc5.

Reference: Bug 49031 - [ivb] Major power consumption regression probably with i915 drm error

Damentz, hopefully liquorix 3.7 will be out soon :) will go back to 3.5 for the time being ...
damentz
Reply Quote
There's a patch in the bug report that I'll add to Liquorix. It's marked as stable though, so at some point it'll backport officially to 3.6.