Page: Previous  1, 2

golinux
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
8400 uses either 304 legacy or current stable nvidia, I don't remember the cutoff.

173 is only for the 5xxx nvidia card series.

304 may be for the 6/7xxx card series, I believe. 8400 should be supported for a long time.

That's good news. The 173 driver (which is what I used on Squeeze and I just checked on the nVidia site) still supports 8400 but it seems more recent drivers do too.

I hope that you can figure out what's going on with sgfxi.
golinux
Reply Quote
One more comment . . .

When I went to manually blacklist nouveau after trying unsuccessfully to run sgfxi, there wasn't any thing else in /etc/modprobe.d/ about nouveau so if the script tried to create it, it failed.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that means almost certainly that something was left somewhere that told sgfxi that nouveau was blacklisted. What that was, however, is very hard to know.

Since the creation of the file is about the simplest thing that can be imagined technically, it's pretty much impossible for it to fail, with one exception, if there is no directory: /etc/modprobe.d

If I did know it, I could fix it, since then I'd just add in another check/test at the right moment.

I would guess this is the same issue that mepis users have sometimes, the actual fix, which they discovered, is just to run sgfxi twice, for some reason that works, then you reboot, and install the actual driver, or something like that.
Page: Previous  1, 2