Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

techAdmin
Reply Quote
We appear to have the same chipset, I'm running 32 bit, if it matters.

I have not tried importing the git firmware, I tend to avoid such custom fixes since they don't represent a standard user system, which makes my system a bad model for testing in general.
arclance
Reply Quote
I have did not have to do anything new to make it work with 3.5.
Maybe you have a different version of the chipset than I do?
This is what I get for mine with "lspci -knn | grep -Ei -A3 'net'".
:: Code ::

07:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 06)
   Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device [1043:8432]
   Kernel driver in use: r8169
I am just running a static IP on the wired interface with ifupdown.
Are you doing something different?
damentz
Reply Quote
Interesting, I just tried installing this kernel on my desktop and got the following output:

┌─────────────────────────────────────────┤ Configuring linux-image-3.5.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 ├──────────────────────────────────────────┐ 
 │                                                                                                                                           │ 
 │ Required firmware files may be missing                                                                                                    │ 
 │                                                                                                                                           │ 
 │ This system is currently running Linux 3.4.0-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 and you are installing Linux 3.5.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64.  In the    │ 
 │ new version some of the drivers used on this system may require additional firmware files:                                                │ 
 │ radeon: radeon/ARUBA_rlc.bin, radeon/ARUBA_me.bin, radeon/ARUBA_pfp.bin, radeon/VERDE_rlc.bin, radeon/VERDE_mc.bin, radeon/VERDE_ce.bin,  │ 
 │ radeon/VERDE_me.bin, radeon/VERDE_pfp.bin, radeon/PITCAIRN_rlc.bin, radeon/PITCAIRN_mc.bin, radeon/PITCAIRN_ce.bin,                       │ 
 │ radeon/PITCAIRN_me.bin, radeon/PITCAIRN_pfp.bin, radeon/TAHITI_rlc.bin, radeon/TAHITI_mc.bin, radeon/TAHITI_ce.bin,                       │ 
 │ radeon/TAHITI_me.bin, radeon/TAHITI_pfp.bin                                                                                               │ 
 │ r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw, rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw                                                                                         │ 
 │ Most firmware files are not included in the system because they do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. You may need to    │ 
 │ reconfigure the package manager to include the contrib and non-free sections of the package archive before you can install these          │ 
 │ firmware files.                                                                                                                           │ 
 │                                                                  <Ok>                                                                     │ 
 └───────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘ 

I checked the local firmware folder this kernel makes and found that all the firmware listed was also not included. I'll see if I can find all the firmware and include it.
damentz
Reply Quote
Can you guys upgrade your firmware packages and let me know if your realtek card works? New firmware packages in the liquorix repos add new realtek and radeon firmware. I just tested this on my local bulldozer PC and it was able to reboot and get a connection without any interaction.

This is all temporary; whenever the official Debian packages update, your systems will upgrade to the officially maintained firmware packages.

As a note, the following message was in dmesg:

r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded
r8169 0000:06:00.0: irq 44 for MSI/MSI-X
r8169 0000:06:00.0: eth0: RTL8168evl/8111evl at 0xffffc9000001e000, c8:60:00:5a:d6:0e, XID 0c900800 IRQ 44
r8169 0000:06:00.0: eth0: jumbo features [frames: 9200 bytes, tx checksumming: ko]

techAdmin
Reply Quote
Required firmware files may be missing                                                                                                      │ 
  │                                                                                                                                             │ 
  │ This system is currently running Linux 3.4.0-8.dmz.1-liquorix-686 and you are installing Linux 3.5.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686.  In the new      │ 
  │ version some of the drivers used on this system may require additional firmware files:                                                      │ 
  │                                                                                                                                             │ 
  │ r8169: rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw, rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw                                                                                           │ 
  │ Most firmware files are not included in the system because they do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. You may need to      │ 
  │ reconfigure the package manager to include the contrib and non-free sections of the package archive before you can install these firmware   │ 
  │ files.         

Updating initrd.img to make sure it's all fine...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.5.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8411-1.fw for module r8169
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/rtl_nic/rtl8402-1.fw for module r8169

techAdmin
Reply Quote
No change for me, 3.5 still doesn't connect.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
this issue is resolved with the latest liquorix firmware-realtek package, wired realtek is now working again.

That's the extra firmware that was missing from the regular debian package.

Nice going damentz.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I take it back, in an odd twist, the issue WAS resolved, for one boot, and now is not working again.

Strange.

I'll try rebuilding initramfs for the 3.5 kernel, otherwise can't think of any reason it would have done that.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Those new drivers are extremely unreliable and buggy, here's from booting this AM into single user mode, 3.5 kernel:

/# ------------[ cut here ]------------
WARNING: at /home/damentz/src/zen/main/linux-liquorix/debian/build/source_i386_none/net/sched/sch_generic.c:255 dev_watchdog+0x1e8/0x200()
Hardware name: To Be Filled By O.E.M.
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0 (r8169): transmit queue 0 timed out
Modules linked in: nfsd exportfs nfs nfs_acl auth_rpcgss fscache lockd sunrpc ipv6 w83627ehf hwmon_vid eeprom i2c_nforce2 fuse dm_crypt nvidia(PO) snd_hda_codec_via snd_hda_intel snd_hda_codec snd_hwdep snd_intel8x0 snd_ac97_codec snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_pcm snd_page_alloc ac97_bus snd_seq_dummy snd_seq_oss snd_seq_midi snd_seq_midi_event joydev snd_rawmidi wacom snd_seq sp5100_tco snd_seq_device snd_timer evdev k8temp snd psmouse i2c_piix4 pcspkr i2c_core serio_raw ati_agp wmi soundcore rtc_cmos kvm_amd agpgart kvm button ext3 mbcache jbd md_mod dm_raid45 dm_memcache xor dm_mirror dm_region_hash dm_log dm_mod usbhid hid usb_storage uas sr_mod cdrom ata_generic sg sd_mod pata_acpi firewire_ohci firewire_core crc_itu_t pata_atiixp floppy ohci_hcd ahci libahci r8169 mii libata scsi_mod ehci_hcd [last unloaded: scsi_wait_scan]
Pid: 0, comm: BFS/1 Tainted: P           O 3.5.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-686 #1
Call Trace:
 [<c1033748>] ? warn_slowpath_common+0x78/0xb0
 [<c1303f68>] ? dev_watchdog+0x1e8/0x200
 [<c1033813>] ? warn_slowpath_fmt+0x33/0x40
 [<c1303d80>] ? dev_graft_qdisc+0x70/0x70
 [<c1041f28>] ? run_timer_softirq+0xf8/0x300
 [<c1303d80>] ? dev_graft_qdisc+0x70/0x70
 [<c103b651>] ? __do_softirq+0x91/0x1d0
 [<c103b5c0>] ? local_bh_enable+0x90/0x90
 <IRQ>  [<c103ba3d>] ? irq_exit+0x9d/0xb0
 [<c10202d8>] ? smp_apic_timer_interrupt+0x58/0x90
 [<c1395d49>] ? apic_timer_interrupt+0x31/0x38
 [<c10285b2>] ? native_safe_halt+0x2/0x10
 [<c100aeee>] ? default_idle+0x3e/0x220
 [<c100b116>] ? amd_e400_idle+0x46/0xf0
 [<c100bb78>] ? cpu_idle+0xa8/0xf0
 [<c1386aef>] ? start_secondary+0x1e1/0x1e6
---[ end trace 6b4665fdf071e3c2 ]---

Also, when I tried restarting networking, I got a slightly unusual message about ipv6 and some other things, then, oddly, I did a test ping of a site, and it got to the site, very slowly, but when I killed ping, it said it had only gotten 3 out of 13 packets sent, and the ping times were very slow.

Then, even more strange, I tried pinging the same site again, and there was simply no connection.

I'd call these git firmwares buggy. Going back to 3.4 for now but will test 3.5 if required.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I just want to note that my system is no longer a valid test system because it looks like my realtek mobo chip may be failing.

While I can't be sure, my above last reports have to be discounted, so if you are not having issues now with realtek firmware/liquorix kernels, that's good.

However, if you are still having issues with the very latest liquorix kernels, which you should not be having at this point, please post and let us know.

The latest 3.5, with the latest firmware package that should autoinstall as well, should now be working with realtek, but I can't test it anymore, sorry.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next