inxi on RPi
btrowe
Reply Quote
Thought I'd try to get inxi working on RPi, but no luck. Not sure if it's something doable considering the barebones nature of the board. If there's interest let me know and I'll run some test cases. Here's the output of my first attempt:

:: Code ::

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$ sudo wget -Nc smxi.org/inxi
--2012-07-07 02:00:53--  http://smxi.org/inxi
Resolving smxi.org... 209.197.72.47
Connecting to smxi.org|209.197.72.47|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi [following]
--2012-07-07 02:00:53--  http://inxi.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/inxi
Resolving inxi.googlecode.com... 74.125.142.82, 2001:4860:b007::52
Connecting to inxi.googlecode.com|74.125.142.82|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 296728 (290K) [text/plain]
Saving to: `inxi'

100%[===============================================================>] 296,728      176K/s   in 1.6s   

2012-07-07 02:00:55 (176 KB/s) - `inxi' saved [296728/296728]

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$ sudo chmod +x inxi
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$ sudo apt-get install gawk lm-sensors libsensors4 fancontrol mesa-utils hddtemp
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$ time inxi

real    225m33.754s
user    2m16.140s
sys     2m54.390s

pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$ inxi --recommends
inxi will now begin checking for the programs it needs to operate. First a check of
the main languages and tools inxi uses. Python is only for debugging data collection.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bash version: 4.1.5(1)-release
Gawk version: 3.1.7
Sed version: 4.2.1
Sudo version: 1.7.4p4
Python version: 2.6.6
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Test One: Required System Directories.
If one of these system directories is missing, inxi cannot operate:

Required file system: /proc................................................. Present
Required file system: /sys.................................................. Present

All the required directories are present.
Test Two: Required Core Applications.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi cannot operate:

Required application: df (info: partition data)............................. /bin/df
Required application: free (info: system memory)............................ /usr/bin/free
Required application: gawk (info: core tool)................................ /usr/bin/gawk
Required application: grep (info: string search)............................ /bin/grep
Required application: lspci (info: hardware data)........................... /usr/bin/lspci
Required application: ps (info: process data)............................... /bin/ps
Required application: readlink.............................................. /bin/readlink
Required application: sed (info: string replace)............................ /bin/sed
Required application: tr (info: character replace).......................... /usr/bin/tr
Required application: uname (info: kernel data)............................. /bin/uname
Required application: uptime................................................ /usr/bin/uptime
Required application: wc (info: word character count)....................... /usr/bin/wc

All the required applications are present.
Test Three: Script Recommends for Graphics Features. If you do not use X these do not matter.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

Recommended X application: glxinfo (info: -G glx info)...................... /usr/bin/glxinfo
Recommended X application: xdpyinfo (info: -G multi screen resolution)...... /usr/bin/xdpyinfo
Recommended X application: xprop (info: -S desktop data).................... /usr/bin/xprop
Recommended X application: xrandr (info: -G single screen resolution)....... /usr/bin/xrandr

All the recommended applications are present.
Test Four: Script Recommends for Remaining Features.
If one of these applications is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

Recommended application: file (info: -o unmounted file system).............. /usr/bin/file
Recommended application: hddtemp (info: -Dx show hdd temp).................. /usr/sbin/hddtemp
Recommended application: ifconfig (info: -i ip lan-deprecated).............. /sbin/ifconfig
Recommended application: ip (info: -i ip lan)............................... /sbin/ip
Recommended application: sensors (info: -s sensors output).................. /usr/bin/sensors
Recommended application: lsusb (info: -A usb audio;-N usb networking)....... /usr/sbin/lsusb
Recommended application: modinfo (info: -Ax,-Nx module version)............. /sbin/modinfo
Recommended application: runlevel (info: -I runlevel)....................... /sbin/runlevel
Recommended application: sudo (info: -Dx hddtemp-user;-o file-user)......... /usr/bin/sudo

All the recommended applications are present.
Test Five: System Directories for Various Information.
If one of these directories is missing, inxi will have incomplete output:

System directory: /sys/class/dmi/id (info: -M system, motherboard, bios).... Missing
System directory: /dev (info: -l,-u,-o,-p,-P,-D disk partition data)........ Present
System directory: /dev/disk/by-label (info: -l,-o,-p,-P partition labels)... Missing
System directory: /dev/disk/by-uuid (info: -u,-o,-p,-P partition uuid)...... Present

The following directories are missing from your system:
Directory: /sys/class/dmi/id
Directory: /dev/disk/by-label
These directories are created by the kernel, so don't worry if they are not present.
All tests completed.
pi@raspberrypi:/usr/local/bin$

GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
My Raspberry Pi is on the way, what OS are you using?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
am I missing something? looks like inxi is running, and working.

Post the output of inxi -@ 7

-@ options override the built in error masking component, and exposes what actually failed and that is what you need to know to see what is not working.

All required apps seem to be working. nodmi data is fine, older installs tend to not have that in the kernel, latest kernels may have more information.

-@7 and less turn off error suppression, and you can see what line the error occurred on or before.
btrowe
Reply Quote
I'm running debian on the RPi:

uname -a
Linux raspberrypi 3.1.9+ #90 Wed Apr 18 18:23:05 BST 2012 armv6l GNU/Linux

I ran inxi -@ 7 like you suggested and got an out of memory error.

As reported in htop the RPi has 186MB memory and I've set up a 127 MB swapfile.

While running inxi I opened up another terminal to watch what was going on with htop and found gawk was using almost all the memory and swapfile. inxi ran out of memory after running for 225minutes (yes you read that right, almost 4h).

Of interest cpu never went above 20% as reported by htop. And that was with 2 ssh terminals and inxi running.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Interesting, I'd say you hold the current record for how long inxi takes to execute on a platform.

I run inxi on an old laptop with 192 mB ram, while not fast, it runs fine, that's a 200 mghz speed demon. Takes about 15 or more seconds to do an inxi -F for speed comparison.

The debian it runs is Etch, nothing newer will fit, and with flux box and no large apps, ie, mostly console tools with xchat and a few other gui things, it runs fine, relatively speaking.

So I'm wondering if something else is up there.

Try shutting down the desktop if you haven't done so already, then running inxi with the error reporting on, as above, and see if that improves it.