Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Mono
Reply Quote
Okay, I got that problem fixed, by reluctantly using the fix here:

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1118315

It seems this is just a workaround to me. Before this I tried purging and reinstalling xserver-xorg-core.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
the driver install did NOT work, as inxi clearly shows, here's your graphics line:

:: Code ::
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: N/A Resolution: 1024x768@61.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x300) GLX Version: 1.4 (2.1 Mesa 8.0.2) Direct Rendering: No

that's actually very weird, it doesn't even show the driver, which it almost always does.

Here's what a working nvidia card/desktop output looks like:

Graphics:  Card: nVidia G86 [GeForce 8400 GS] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.Org: 1.11.2.902 driver: nvidia Resolution: 2560x1024@50.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce 8400 GS/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW! GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 295.49 Direct Rendering: Yes

See? You see the driver listed, glx rendering is yes, everything is as expected.

This is the first I've heard of 'mate', what is that anyway? yet another display manager, mate display manager? sounds like it, mdm
techAdmin
Reply Quote
By the way,
service mdm stop
is the same roughly as
/etc/init.d/mdm stop

it's just a shortcut, but that's going to be changing with upstart or something, not sure, can't remember.

stop mdm is just another shortcut command, ie:
stop mdm ~= /etc/init.d/mdm stop ~= service mdm stop

if any one works, that should be enough.

This respawning nonsense though, that means some daemon is always on and always watching for the dm to be shut off, but why o n earth it would do that is beyond me, I can see no, zero value in doing that, and only problems.

I have to be honest, I'm starting to lose faith in the direction ubuntu is taking, I used to think they were good for the linux system, but it really is starting to look like they are getting lost and confused, introducing bad hacks that really just make it harder to run linux desktops in the end.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
forums.mate-desktop.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=125

they claim there in april that mate has no dm, so what the heck is this all about? did ubuntu do a downstream dm, which explains the bugs with it, since it must be brand new, or did mate do one in the last 2 months? which also explains the bugs?

Ah, now I see, mate is like trinity, a fork of the last desktop, gnome 2 in this case.
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/MATE

that explains the bugs, now I see.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
grep mdm /etc/inittab

do that, look at the output, see if the daemon flag is set.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/xdm -nodaemon

Modify it so it points to the display manager of your choice:

GDM:

x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/gdm -nodaemon

KDM:

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/kdm -nodaemon

SLiM

x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/slim >/dev/null 2>&1

LXDM:

x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/lxdm >& /dev/null

LightDM:

x:5:respawn:/usr/sbin/lightdm >& /dev/null

those are samples, looks like -nodaemon is the flag you want on it.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
while we're at it, can you verify something for me:

ls /var/run | grep mdm

just post the output
or
ls /run | grep mdm

so I can update something else. Do this when your desktop is running, of course.
Mono
Reply Quote
Okay, I've been asking about things. Select quotes from IRC:

:: Quote ::
as far back as december 2011, init 3 is still valid

:: Quote ::
it's valid, it's just doesn't do anything (since ubuntu switched to unity, runlevels 2,3,4,5 are basically identical, only runlevels 0,1 and 6 have specific meanings)

I was told to do init 3 to keep the x server from restarting, then init 5 to get back.
Mono
Reply Quote
$ ls /var/run | grep mdm
mdm.pid
mdm_socket
$ ls /run | grep mdm
mdm.pid
mdm_socket

Mono
Reply Quote
Okay, I used the init commands and it seemed to work. I did

ctrl-alt-F1
service mdm stop (dunno if this really works or not, it gives the appearance of working)
init 3
sgfxi
init 5
mdm start

For some reason Mint 13 doesn't use the xorg.conf file by default, so sgfxi creates one.

I noticed, that using service mdm stop appears to work, but if I do it right after, it responds again with the same thing, as if I had never done it. So maybe mdm does respawn. But it does it covertly!

I finally got everything working in Liquorix. Here is the info:

$ inxi -bxx
System:    Host: starla-AY748AA-ABA-p6320y Kernel: 3.4.0-3.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
           Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Machine:   System: HP-Pavilion product: AY748AA-ABA p6320y Chassis: Hewlett-Packard type: 3
           Mobo: PEGATRON model: VIOLET6 version: 6.01 Bios: American Megatrends version: 5.13 date: 11/12/2009
CPU:       Quad core AMD Phenom II X4 820 (-MCP-) clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GT200 [GeForce GTX 260] bus-ID: 02:00.0 X.Org: 1.11.3 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 260/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 302.17 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network:   Card-1: NVIDIA MCP77 Ethernet driver: forcedeth port: c880 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
           Card-2: Atheros AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) driver: ath9k bus-ID: 04:00.0
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2000.4GB (37.6% used)
Info:      Processes: 162 Uptime: 35 min Memory: 560.1/7991.1MB Runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 4.6.3 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5

Mono
Reply Quote
$ grep mdm /etc/inittab
grep: /etc/inittab: No such file or directory

Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next