sgxfi error message
robinz
Reply Quote
I am running SolusOS 1.1 x64bit with the 3.3.6 kernel. When I run sgfxi, I get a 245 error message that continues with Nvidia cannot install exiting with an error message of 1. I checked the log and don't understand what I need to do:

pastebin.com/E2Y3MyFC

The thing is, I installed the 295 driver with sgfxi without a hitch. I decided today to upgrade and get this error message. Thanks for any help/input someone may have ;)

Edit to add that I was definitely out of x so no issue there

Robin
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Thank you for posting all relevant information.

Please also post the log of:
/var/log/sgfxi/sgfxi.log

that will give me some more information about what actually happened.

sgfxi should have terminated xorg, but it's possible your configuration didn't properly handle that.

Please post: inxi -bxx
as well so I can check some other parts of your system.

I didn't change anything in sgfxi so the trick is to find out why the nvidia installer on 302.17 notes that xorg was running, or the module had failed to be unloaded, which almost always means that xorg is in fact still running.

Also, try: sgfxi -o 302.11
and: sgfxi -o 295.59
and see if those both work. Don't worry about breaking things, you can install different drivers all day long, that's how I developed sgfxi in the first place.

The tests wont' take long to run, but post the sgfxi log now from your last attempt, the one that the installer failed on. There's a bunch in /var/log/sgfxi, numbered, the one without a number is the current one, and the next one is with a 1, and so on to older ones.

Let's check these all, and if 302.17 still insists that the nvidia module is loaded, when the other drivers believe correctly it's not, then there is probably a bug in the actual nvidia 302.17 installer itself. Then you can file a bug report at nvnews.net forums, but wait on that.

Use pastebin.com as you did, some of the log files get pretty long. The sgfxi log tells me roughly what actually happened, and if it fails to log something we needed to see, what I usually do is update the logging to capture a bit more, until the event is actually understood.
robinz
Reply Quote
Thank you so much for response. Here is my sgfxi log to start with:

pastebin.com/NUhG78en

Output of inxi -bxx:

robin@robin ~ $ inxi -bxx
System: Host: robin Kernel: 3.3.6-solusos x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.4.5)
Desktop: Gnome 2.30.2 (Gtk 2.20.1) Distro: SolusOS 1.1 Eveline
Machine: System: ZaReason product: N/A Chassis: Micro-Star type: 10
Mobo: Micro-Star model: MS-1761 Bios: American Megatrends version: E1761IG6 V3.0B date: 08/15/2011
CPU: Quad core Intel Core i7-2860QM CPU (-HT-MCP-) clocked at 800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: nVidia Device 1210 bus-ID: 01:00.0 X.Org: 1.10.4 driver: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@50.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 570M/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.1.0 NVIDIA 275.36 Direct Rendering: Yes
Network: Card-1: Intel WiFi 130 Series driver: iwlwifi ver: in-tree: bus-ID: 03:00.0
Card-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller
driver: r8169 ver: 2.3LK-NAPI port: d000 bus-ID: 02:00.0
Drives: HDD Total Size: 750.2GB (7.8% used)
Info: Processes: 202 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 1057.4/16011.1MB Runlevel: 2 Gcc sys: 4.4.5 Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.5
robinz
Reply Quote
I attempted the 295.59 install yesterday and got the same results. Here is that log if it helps:

pastebin.com/EbWeqdud
techAdmin
Reply Quote
well that's good, the nvidia driver is not the problem apparently, judging by the dkms stuff being removed, I would suspect something in the dkms part of the nvidia driver is not letting go, which makes the nvidia installer think that the nvidia module is still installed, but it looks like removing all the packages there resulted in no error.

Hard to say, haven't seen any issue like this, maybe ask ikey on your forums as well to take a look at it.

We've had to adjust the dkms handling before, but it's odd to have to do that with a squeeze based system like solusos.

I don't see any actual sgfxi issues though, unless some other step needs to be handled re cleaning out some dkms cruft, that could be, because debian really improved dkms handling since squeeze came out, and it's possible something in some systems requires explicit removal or cleanup pre install, after removing the dkms packages, shouldn't be the case, isn't in sid or testing, but maybe in stable squeeze it is.

But I see no issues in sgfxi, xorg is stopped, the right dm is stopped, no errors there are reported, but the nvidia installer is not lying, it does find something of the nvidia driver in the kernel, the question is of course where exactly it found that.

As a simple test, you can do this install, wait for it to fail, then leave sgfxi at the end, and do:
lsmod | grep nvidia

and see if anything appears, if it does, that is the source of the problem, something failed to unload. If it shows null, which is my guess, the nvidia installer is finding some other uncleared up cruft in the system and thinks the nvidia module is running and present in the kernel when it isn't. not a real bug in the nvidia installer, since it's almost certainly seeing something real.
robinz
Reply Quote
Ok tech...thank you. I will see if I can catch up with Ikey and see what he says. I used sgfxi after a fresh install so I guess that is why I did not have this issue then. Thanks so much for your help ;)
techAdmin
Reply Quote
if you can pinpoint the issue specifically let me know, or have ikey talk to me on #smxi irc. Sometimes it's just something that requires an extra step in the cleanup process, and that can be scripted in.
robinz
Reply Quote
tech,

I am now running the 302.17 driver! Yay! Lol All I had to do when I got the error was reboot which of course took me to a console and I was able to run sgfxi without any issues. I don't know why I didn't think of that the other day but it worked beautifully. Thanks for your help ;)

robin
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I should have remembered the reboot thing, mepis users too have to do that, it must be something in squeeze then, debian current stable that is, I always assumed it was just in mepis.

So yeah, I guess in squeeze, which is mepis/debian stable current now/solusos, you have to run sgfxi, wait for fail, reboot, then run sgfxi again. No idea why, but squeeze is only going to be stable for a few more months so I'm not going to worry, once wheezy is the new stable those issues should be gone.

It's almost certain a reboot is not actually needed by the way, but rather something needs to be switched off before the install starts, but I have no idea what, so if a reboot works, fine. sgfxi strives for a clean one step install, it always worked in the past, so I'm not sure where that issue crept in.