"uninstall smxi" deletes things it should not
dzz
Reply Quote
Today I tried, using -G option as no reason why X should be stopped, to use "uninstall smxi" from the menu, because I want all smxi stuff temporarily purged then to work out how to use the stub-installer for a (squeeze) live cd project.

I noticed that absolutely everything in /usr/local/bin got deleted (Arrgh! all my custom scripts!) except a sub-directory was left intact. I reinstalled smxi, put some custom stuff back in /usr/local/bin, repeated 3 times again to be sure; same result.

It is all recoverable from backups but could have been worse.

The stub installer components in /usr/sbin were not removed.

Regarding the stub-installer: although /usr/sbin is definitely in $PATH, after uninstalling smxi and placing the stub-installer as per instructions

:: Code ::
# smxi
bash: /usr/local/bin/smxi: No such file or directory

Calling /usr/sbin/smxi works.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that's definitely a bug, let me check the code.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
that bug has been there a long time, I found it, an extra wildcard made the /usr/local/bin files get removed. Now fixed.

Can you test that again and make sure it works as expected?
dzz
Reply Quote
Tried again, works as expected now, custom stuff in /usr/local/bin was untouched. Thanks.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I'm very sorry about that bug, I hope y ou didn't lose anything permanently. What saddens me is that bug has been in there since I first added that feature of smxi removal, and this is the first time a bug was reported, but most people probably don't use /usr/local/bin

There was an unattached * in the list of things to remove, ie, everything, which is why the directories remained, sorry again, that was a bad little error on my part.
dzz
Reply Quote
Probably went unnoticed because normally. smxi is so good nobody ever tried to uninstall it! I had a special reason though, it was only temporary. No damage done here.

To me, /usr/local/whatever is a logical and tidy place to put custom admin-type scripts and their lib files which are not deb-packaged. In fact I thought it was an accepted standard.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
it is an accepted standard, that's why the smxi stuff goes there.

This was a simple bug, an oversight, one of those pesky subtle copy and paste things or something that just slipped by unnoticed.

The bug is extra unfortunate precisely because /usr/local/bin is in fact precisely the place users are supposed to put their scripts and other apps not handled by apt, well, there, and /opt for bigger packages like firefox or various other things, but those are more from real repos, 3rd party, than just apps or scripts.