Page: Previous  1, 2

dzz
Reply Quote
Thanks for adding support for lightdm to smxi. I'm just starting to use it on my wheezy/sid test boxes with xfce

I'm using Trinity desktop a lot lately. Although I can stop/start kdm-trinity manually, it would be great if smxi supported that also.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
is kdm-trinity a dm? is there: /etc/init.d/kdm-trinity?

If so, it's trivial to add it to sgfxi smxi
techAdmin
Reply Quote
dzz, that was a question by the way, is there the file: /etc/init.d/kdm-trinity present?
dzz
Reply Quote
Yes, kdm-trinity is an actual DM and /etc/init.d/kdm-trinity is indeed (optionally) present. It behaves in much the same way as kde3x kdm.

BTW Trinity is actively developed still, is now deb-packaged for squeeze and will almost certainly continue into Wheezy.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
kdm-trinity added to smxi/sgfxi dm lists.

Now, smxi/sgfxi should always be detecting the default dm set for xorg, and using that first, no matter what, but for when that is not set, it uses a list of known dms, so that's what has been updated.
dzz
Reply Quote
Unfortunately smxi still doesn't stop/start kdm-trinity, it's not as simple as we thought (yet)

I'm assuming smxi reads /etc/X11/default-display-manager. It is in this case /opt/trinity/bin/kdm. "Trinity Desktop Environment" (TDE) installs to /opt to avoid conflict with kde4

... smxi then seems to be looking for "kdm" but in init.d it it "kdm-trinity" which must run. Problem seems to be TDE naming inconsistencies. Trinity devs are actually working now on rebranding/renaming for the next release. I read that the display manager will be named "tdm" in future.

Anyway I can forward this info to the Trinity mailing list and see what happens. I'm sure it will be really appreciated that smxi has offered inclusion.

BTW, sorry to hijack the lightdm thread!
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There's no way for the smxi logic to handle that case, they should not have put it into /opt.

And it should not be named whatever it's named.

smxi looks for /usr/bin/[display manager], whether it is in default dm from x or list of supported dms.

so whatever it's called, it should be in /usr/bin, and the /etc/init.d/ file should also have that same program name, like ALL the other dms do. Since they are not following standard methods, it's not worth adjusting all the smxi stuff for that, particularly if they are going to fix it anyway.

:: Code ::
which kdm
/usr/bin/kdm

ls /etc/init.d | grep kdm
kdm

smxi, to keep things simple in terms of matching dm names and locations, does this:
cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
/usr/bin/kdm
## then uses basename to extract the kdm and return that.

In a sense it would be safer long term to not assume /usr/bin as the location, but that's where they all are so it seemed ok.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

then as a work-a-round, why not create sym links from the opt and init.d areas?
actually I will probably rename the init.d file but I am no expert

eg

su
ln -s  /opt/trinity/bin/kdm /usr/bin/trinity
ln -s /etc/init.d/kdm-trinity /etc/init.d/trinity
cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager
---> (changed to ) 
----------> /usr/bin/trinity

techAdmin
Reply Quote
yes, for example, that's one simple solution.
Page: Previous  1, 2