Error after changing apt-type
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I have an Acer Aspire netbook.
Don't think it worthwhile to post an inxi for it, but will do if needed.
Due to recent breakages caused by aptitude I decided to change apt-type to apt-get in all my computers.
All work fine except this one.
Maybe probem is that I had to temporarily fish package virtuoso-minimal from sid, it was unavailable in wheezy.
After that, put my sources back to what they were, checked with another computer which works fine, sources the same.
When running smxi in Acer I get error 100, full-upgrade operation not supported, which makes sense because it should be dist-upgrade.
There is a setting in smxi that is stuck with aptitude, don't know where to correct.
Manual dist-upgrade works fine, only smxi throws error.
dark-D
Reply Quote
when you are in the main menu of smxi go to: 4) miscellaneous-tweaks > 3) advanced-tweaks > 8) apt-type and 9) upgrade-dist-upgrade

another way is to use smxi -Y and 7) remove-script-configuration-files. and then start smxi again and set all the setting again.

< Edited by dark-D :: Jun 4, 12, 8:21 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's a good point, now that I think of it, changing upgrade type should also change the corresponding apt type, and vica versa, never thought of that before.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
:: dark-D wrote ::
when you are in the main menu of smxi go to: 4) miscellaneous-tweaks > 3) advanced-tweaks > 8) apt-type and 9) upgrade-dist-upgrade

Tried this and apparently it worked, no errors.
Cannot confirm because I just did the manual thingy so there was nothing to do.
Will confirm later.
I was thinking of uninstalling/reinstalling smxi, but to find a less drastic solution is better.
Thanks for all answers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
ckosloff, those settings are found in /etc/smxi.conf so reinstalling smxi would do nothing unless you fully uninstalled it.

Easier to just update the settings, but I'll have to fix that oversight, changing one of those should change the other as well.

I actually did not anticipate aptitude failing so badly so relatively quickly, so figured the tool would only really be used one way each time, but given that aptitude really has to be considered a non viable option now for running debian testing or sid, and probably I would guess also for upgrading from squeeze stable to wheezy stable, it's best to make that a true one click change.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I can confirm that above fix was successful, I just did a dist-upgrade without any errors, from smxi.
No changes in config files, uninstall/reinstall were needed.
Good idea to eliminate aptitude, it just causes breakages.