Installing 32 bit OpenGL Nvidia driver on 64 bit Debian with sgfxi?
shmerl
Reply Quote
I was trying the Nvidia way with sgfxi, but I have problems with 32 bit support on 64 bit Debian testing system. I saw some comment in sgfxi which says that 64 bit Nvidia driver should install 32 bit support binaries. But it doesn't install 32 bit OpenGL library provided by libgl1-nvidia-glx-ia32 Debian package:

In particular these files:

:: Code ::
/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGL.so.xxx.xx
/usr/lib32/nvidia/libGL.so.1

sgfxi didn't ask anything about installing 32 bit library as well. Is there a way to do it through sgfxi? And what would be an alternative way to do it? Just manual download, extraction and copying to /usr/lib32 ?

UPDATE:

I just figured, they are actually being installed, but in /usr/lib32 not in /usr/lib32/nvidia/
techAdmin
Reply Quote
It sounds lke you have a bug report for debian nvidia, not sgfxi. If that package is a dependency for 64 bit nvidia and the debian way doesn't install it, it's a bug report for debian.

Or maybe sgfxi uses an older method that doesn't pull that in, before I change anything, you'll have to provide more data, I don't run 64 bit, nor do I plan on doing so at this point, so testing is not possible for me.

So the tests required are:

remove the package if you installed it, run the standard no arg nvidia install, then see if everything works. If it works, then the fix would be for nvidia / debian method only.

then try the nvidia debian method in sgfxi, and again see if that package doesn't get pulled in, but is needed. If that is the case, then I can set a flag for that fairly rare and singular case, without making it a global switch.
reiner
Reply Quote
I use the 64-Bit versions of the nvidia-driver via smxi/sgfxi.

No actual problems to report with that with the execption that the newest beta-driver (302) had problems with the mouse. So I use the stable version for now.

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
issue reports like this are not very helpful since it's unclear if the person has an issue or not.

However, I'll file it under possible something to look into one day when I'm really bored.

I can tell you that by user request, sgfxi whitelists the nvidia glx lib package, and does not remove it pre cleanup.

That was added a while ago, but as of now, sgfxi doesn't offer to install those libs, and won't until I get feedback on the questions I asked, although I did add in a commented out block that I can activate once I get the answers.