(solved)ceni was removed in sid
dark-D
Reply Quote
today upon dist-upgrade ceni was removed in debian sid, i guess because of netbase, and if i try to install it again it tries to remove the following packages

:: Code ::
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libio-socket-ssl-perl liblwp-protocol-https-perl libwww-perl
  libxml-parser-perl libxml-sax-expat-perl netbase ntpdate
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  ifupdown
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 7 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 48.2 kB of archives.
After this operation, 1446 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
Abort.

i know that ifupdown is depreciated, but isn't a way around it?

edit: the effects of this are already shown. my dsl connection won't start at boot. i have to reconfigure pppoeconf every time. can someone help? here is my /etc/network/interfaces

:: Code ::
auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
pre-up /sbin/ifconfig eth0 up # line maintained by pppoeconf
provider dsl-provider

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

i'll downgrade and put netbase on hold, maybe it is a bug. thanks in advanced.

< Edited by dark-D :: May 15, 12, 7:09 >

techAdmin
Reply Quote
My guess is the dependencies changed, I download the package now and then, I'll update the downloaded version used in smxi.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There was a new version, as I expected, that's been added to the smxi download, give it a try.
dark-D
Reply Quote
i downgraded netbase to testing because of dsl not starting at boot. and now i installed ceni 2.25, but if i try to install netbase from sid, it tries to remove ceni and ifupdown.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Oh, ok, so the ceni version has changed dependencies, but something else is not working.

So the issue for smxi is resolved, that is is, the smxi sid ceni is now installable again, but not for you. I've always used the dsl connection in the router, not on the os myself, I've found that much more reliable long term (linux dsl connection methods used to be absolutely miserable).

There are always glitches however using dpkg installed downloaded debs, one being that the package doesn't upgrade to the latest version, but I just don't want to force people into using a repo that might well vanish any day now.

I really wish ceni would enter debian, as with inxi, I have no idea why a tool of such obvious utility is not in debian. Especially given that kelmo, who made it, was quite deeply involved with debian proper from the very beginning.
dark-D
Reply Quote
according to a bug report to netbase. the uploader didn't knew that ifupdown 0.7~rc2 wasn't in unstable. the solution would be to wait for ifupdown to be updated in sid or install it from experimental. this i had done and apart from 10 lines in the boot line with network output all seams to work. now i have ceni and the dsl at boot.

edit: new version of ifupdown is in sid, so i guess it's is solved.