smxi firefox-tweaks issues
fiver22
Reply Quote
After running the firefox tweaks in smxi I have lost the 'x'(close tab) in each tab, and the gmail gadget for igoogle now only shows '404. That’s an error. '
Wondering if someone could tell me how to undo the changes I made using the firefox-tweaks section of smxi.
Aside from the above, I've found smxi to be a god-send.
Thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
hmm, that's too bad, I haven't touched that firefox tweaks code for a long time, I'd have to check it, but I don't recall it having anything to do with x close buttons.

But sounds like an issue of something or other.

wonder if some syntax change occured that makes the changes go wrong.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
:: Code ::
browser.backspace_action:0 browser.search.suggest.enabled:false browser.sessionhistory.max_entries:10 browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers:1 browser.tabs.closeButtons:3 browser.tabs.tabMinWidth:5 browser.urlbar.hideGoButton:true geo.enabled:false layout.css.dpi:0 network.cookie.cookieBehavior:1 network.prefetch-next:false print.printer_PostScript/default.print_command:kprinter ui.allow_platform_file_picker:false

oh, checked, the remove close tab button is a feature, that's supposed to happen. Just enter into url bar:

about:preferences
then search for:
browser.tabs.closeButtons and set it to I think, 0, not sure, can't remember any more.

But you can just set that in your preferences of firefox too.

I'm going to guess that geo.enabled or one of those others disabled the google thing, but I can't say for sure.
fiver22
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
(...)

Heh -awesome. I was just about to post back that setting 'browser.tabs.closeButtons' to 0 or 1 solves the close tab issue.
I'll look into geo.enabled and others to see if that fixes the gmail gadget display. I'll post back if I find a solution.
Thanks again.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
those are the ones smxi changes, so that's the only place the issues could come from.

If you find the other issue, just post it so other people can find it searching, but so far looks like it's not a bug, just smxi working as it's supposed to, surprising given how long ago that was written.

Personally I dislike wasting space on the tabs for the close button, I use mouse gestures to close tabs, faster and easier. allinone mouse gestures, down, then to right, tab close.
fiver22
Reply Quote
Solved:
network.cookie.cookieBehavior:1 was the culprit, I 'reset' it to default (0) and the gmail gadget worked again.

I agree the close tab "x" is totally a personal preference; as for the gmail igoogle gadget: I don't know enough about it to comment one way or the other -I suspect that it's a rare enough issue.

Thanks again.
ps -you may be interested to know that smxi identified *pretty* correctly that I'm running Debian Testing -it's actually LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) '201204 Xfce 64-bit'. I successfully ran some 'clean up'; the above mentioned firefox stuff; and upgraded my gfx driver to Nvidia 295.49. I recall seeing at some point in the script that you wanted to know about specific distros. LMDE is essentially Debian Testing as far as I know, and all the options I tried with smxi worked great.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi knows a few derived distros I added explicitly, like siduction/aptosid, mepis I think.

It doesn't know ldme as a specific distro, just as debian testing.