VoIP installation on Linux with Asterix / Digium
jeffd
Reply Quote
This is not your standard client to client package being discussed, but rather a small office to office network, voice and data channels.

It uses software and hardware from Asterisk.org and Digium

You can read the installation procedure on softwink.com. It includes some configuration information which will come in handy, and also the bugs they ran across while setting up the system.

While I'm not planning on doing any install like this soon, it's good information in general.
Installation, hardware questions
Petros
Reply Quote
Hi,

I'm wondering if you could help me, I wish to set up a telephone system where people can call my number and be connected together in a conference like manner. I am in other words planning to set up a public phone-chat which has other features such as jumping between conferences etc.

I got someones tip the other day to use a digium board and asterix in this project.

I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to Linux and telephony tech but I am a quick learner and I have a background in computer programming as well as usage of other operating systems such as unix and windows.

I have been looking around all over the internet for proper forums but gotten no answer to my questions yet.

If its not too much trouble I would very much appreciate someone enlightening me in these hardware considerations I have.

I noticed a term called SPAN, as in Quad-span, dual-span or
single-span. Can anyone give me a brief explanation of this? As i
see it, this denotes the number of cable connectors on the board.
What kind of system would require quad-span, dual-span or
single-span boards respectively? What is the advantage of one over the other?

I currently have a ASUS CUV4X Rev. 1.03 motherboard with a
Pentium3 , 800MHz processor, does this restrict my choice of digium boards? I am particularly concerned with the 3.3V / 5.0V PCI slots requirement

I currently have no hard disk for that motherboard. Before I
purchase one, does any of digiums boards have any requirements
about hard disk capacities?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Sorry Petros, but setting up telephony stuff is too specific, like the other forums, we can't help you either.

However, I know that some distros are shipping with telephony software installed now, not sure which, probably not what you want though.

Just read the documentation of the product you want, usually those open source projects have some type of forum or mail list, make sure to read all the relevant faqs etc, then ask for help.

But keep in mind, if you don't really know linux, they aren't going to teach you how to use linux, that's something you have to learn on your own, we can help in some areas of that here.

Just speaking for myself however, I wouldn't put any particular time or effort into trying to get a board that old setup to run a sophisticated new technology, there's no reason, just get a decent used 1.5/2.5 gigahertz modern board with SATA hard drives and you'll be happier in the long run.