System temps, inxi vs psensor (lm-sensor)
jeremy_ray
Reply Quote
Inxi says -

:: Quote ::
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 27.1C mobo: 31.0C gpu: 52.00C

Psensor says -

______________Current___Min___Max

k10temp (cpu)___17C_____16C___46C

Why is there a difference of ten degrees? Do I need to configure a file somewhere to make one or the other of these right?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Please post the output of this command: sensors

post it here, that way I can see if there is an error.

psensors is irrelevant.

Sometimes inxi cannot know which sensor/fan speed combination is which, in such cases there is an option to set the inxi configuration file to use one or the other, more info on that in the inxi wiki I believe.
jeremy_ray
Reply Quote
it8720-isa-0228
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0: +0.88 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in1: +1.47 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in2: +3.38 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
+5V: +3.01 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in4: +3.07 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in5: +0.78 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
in6: +4.08 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V) ALARM
5VSB: +2.99 V (min = +0.00 V, max = +4.08 V)
Vbat: +3.14 V
fan1: 1721 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan2: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan3: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
fan4: 0 RPM (min = 0 RPM)
temp1: +30.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermistor
temp2: +31.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +127.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
temp3: +28.0°C (low = +127.0°C, high = +60.0°C) sensor = thermal diode
cpu0_vid: +0.000 V

fam15h_power-pci-00c4
Adapter: PCI adapter
power1: 117.47 W (crit = 124.95 W)

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1: +16.8°C (high = +70.0°C)
(crit = +90.0°C, hyst = +87.0°C)

techAdmin
Reply Quote
pctemp is wrong and inxi is right, thanks. We put a lot of work and testing into inxi to make it usually be right, but the way sensors output is so variable, fringe cases slip in sometimes. Your case is not a fringe case, it's a standard format, which inxi is easily able to handle.

You can see where pctemp got its info from, the other sensor, which is not right, or uses some other method.
jeremy_ray
Reply Quote
FWIW I'm getting another temp value in the BIOS -

Current CPU Temperature - 56 deg C

The inxi man says -

Show sensors output (if sensors installed/configured):

Is it possible my sensors aren't configured right, and are throwing inxi off?

:: techAdmin wrote ::

You can see where pctemp got its info from, the other sensor, which is not right, or uses some other method.

You're referring to the number provided by K10temp-pci-00c3?

I believe there is extra configuration involved for lm-sensors, but there is nothing on the lm-sensors site for my MB yet. I don't know what's involved with configuring the K10temp driver, if anything.

One last thing, is there a way to get inxi to continuously display the current temp, and the max temp reached?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
a difference between bios and sensors is out of inxi's realm, that's an issue you have to discuss with lm-sensors, assuming of course you have a new system or the latest current lm-sensors (never file bug reports though until you know you have the latest version, often configurations etc change and are updated for sensors), and aren't using some old install debian stable or ubuntu or whatever. inxi picked the right sensors output, and pctemp picked the wrong one, they need to do some more work, or you need to configure it to use the other sensor, out of inxi's realm, I can't help other software, that's why I did inxi.

Latest lm-sensors doesn't mean latest in the distro repos, it means the actual upstream current real version.

No, you can't have inxi show live data, it reads the system piece by piece then prints out what it discovered.

If you were obsessed, you could set up a script to run it every 5 seconds, like a loop that goes endlessly with sleep then inxi -s but that's outside of inxi's realm, anyone can run it anyway they want, and I enourage them to do so, but inxi itself just reads the system and tells you what it is.

:: Code ::
while [[ $fred == '' ]];do clear; inxi -s; sleep 5; done

note this dumps all the history / output of the shell each time it runs, so it sort of looks like it's updating.

bash is not a very flexible language, and can only update the last value in an output, though I guess you can set it to go back all the way and rewrite one line or something, not worth it.
jeremy_ray
Reply Quote
Let me make sure I'm understanding you correctly - does inxi rely on the output of lm-sensors, or is inxi completely independent of lm-sensors?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
inxi uses the output of the sensors command. Which is part of lm-sensors package. It also uses some graphics gpu temp stuff if nvidia or fglrx are used. If not, and if it's a newer lm-sensors, it can sometimes get gpu from sensors also.