ose vs non-ose
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I come from aptosid, which strongly discouraged non-ose.
I created an XP VM in ose, exported it, then hosed system.
I need that VM for work purposes.
I installed the ext pack in that ose vbox, but it never worked, USB ports were not seen.
So, my question is: which route to go?
Will my VM import in non-ose?
Will extpack work better in non-ose, since it can only be found there?
None of them are installed yet.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The extension pack is what non-ose is in svmi, I just never changed the option text, since the extension pack is really all that non-ose had extra.

That's required on the server side, the guest client needs the vbox extensions installed too of course.

A vbox image is just a file, you don't need to export it, just copy it over, then tell vbox on the other system to use that image file as the disk image, instead of making a new one, at the create vm image part of the setup process.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
Thanks techadmin.
Just to clarify, install non-ose in order to get the extpack?
Thanks for tip about just copying over file, but I did not do that before hosing system, so will have to rebuild now.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I got confused because aptosid discouraged non-ose, however they said that extpack could be installed on top of ose.
I find this advice to be in error, I installed ose version and then tried to install non-ose module (in order to get extpack), and hit error.
Uninstalled ose, installed non-ose, built module, installed additions.
Launched VirtualBox OK, installed add-ons from menu, could launch USB devices, USB stick automatically recognized and mounted, Seagate device and all others seen.
Windows automatically installed an audio driver, but hit error, the only thing that I am missing is audio in the VM, maybe because something is missing in base system or audio settings not configured correctly.
For audio settings I have:
Host Audio Driver:
Pulse Audio
ALSA audio driver
Null audio driver
OSS audio driver

Audio Controller:
Intel HD Audio
ICH AC 97
Sound Blaster 16

I don't know how to mix and match.
BTW, installation via smxi was sooo easy and smooth.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The aptosid guys are trying in their odd peculiar way to be free software zealots, ie, they will give you bad and incorrect advice based not on engineering or understanding your needs, but on their weird interpretation of how things are.

They also try to be debian zealots, again in their odd way. So I basically ignore everything they say and never assume it's right, that doesn't mean it's automatically wrong, just that it's not necessarily right unless proven so using other sources than them, especially experience. There's a reason siduction forked from them. And that everyone else leaves who has any ability to do actual thinking.

Of especial uselessness is anything slam say, that can almost be assumed to be wrong, not right, so if he for example says use gnash instead of flash, you can rest assured that flash is what you want.

I can't comment on any specific advice they give since as noted above, it's in my opinion basically worthless.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
@techadmin
I am trying to weed out all that didn't work in aptosid and keep only the good, e.g. sux, init 3, the manual, etc.
I am aware that you are the main author of the manual, so when I get to the LAMP stack I will ask some questions, because I found the manual lacking, I know that you are not the maintainer, bluewater is, nice fellow BTW, there are others who are OK.
Anyway, now the extpack is working, all USB drives are seen, XP mounts a USB stick when inserted, that never happened before.
Only sound is missing, but that is maybe because I am still missing sound drivers in my system, only have Phonon.
One thing I must say, liquorix is much better than the aptosid kernel, faster, more reliable, and everything works out-of-the box, I could never get desktop effects with the 64-bit aptosid, and now I got them effortlessly.
Also, I cannot understand what is the point of continuously releasing kernels, in a couple weeks my GRUB was full of them, I dist-upgraded frequently.
Enough aptosid, we all have work to do.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Bluewater is the main author/editor of the manual contents, I just made / wrote all the coding of it, behind the scenes, on the condition that I never had to interact with the core 'team' on html/css information architecture issues. Bluewater did a great job making that wall between me and them, to his credit, and also managed to avoid stupid suggestions they had that were vetoed by me in a diplomatic fashion.

But most of the content is them, not me, a few things in there are mine but not very many re content, so credit goes where it's due, bluewater is the guy.

However it does give me a chuckle every time one of the last remaining good things mentioned re aptosid still has my fingerprints all over it.

I was however continuing to help bluewater with code issues until just some time past the final blowup, after which I had to cut him off, somewhat regretfully, but I couldn't contribute my time to those guys or their project, even behind the scenes, so I finally stopped. That was quite a bit after I quit/was dumped from them.

I passed your liquorix comments onto damentz. I have no idea why slh makes so many kernels, he always has. You don't need to use the metapackages either, I don't, that's why smxi asks if you want to remove them, that way I install new kernels only when I need to.

Use the smxi kernel remover to get rid of the oldest ones. I always suggest keeping at least one of the last major kernel version, at least, because you simply never know when you will discover some issue with some hardware, I keep much more, each one takes about 100 mB give or take on your system. 4 is good number I think.

Major kernel versions are like, 2.6.36, 3.0, 3.1

Since big things ideally don't change in a major version sub release, updating within that is usually safe, but with a new major version, things can and do break.
ckosloff
Reply Quote
I have seen the kernel remover in smxi.
No need to use it yet, since I only have two kernels in the system that I am using, Debian and Liquorix, the latter is the default.
I was thinking on posting something similar to the upgrade warnings in aptosid.
I recently saw a dist-upgrade in testing, the linux image of the kernel (Debian) was there, but not the headers.
I went ahead anyway and dist-upgrade failed to install, pointing out this precise error.
It was in the US mirror.
Have not seen it again so far, the updated Debian kernel has not shipped as of this writing.
Good idea to post dist-upgrade warnings?