Page: 1, 2  Next

chrome and vlc make my kernel panic
whorush
Reply Quote
hey there,

when i use chrome and vlc my kernel has a tendency to panic. i think it's panicing. what happens is, everything permanently freezes and my caplocks button blinks.

only those two apps. like i'll watch a movie for 30 mins or 10, and then it'll happen, or sometimes it won't happen at all after hours.

weird that it happens with chrome and not with firefox 8?

i'm using liquorix 3.1.0-4.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64.
damentz
Reply Quote
Well, there's nothing I can really do without a trace log of what happened that the kernel outputs. But, I can say that VLC and google chrome both probably are using your graphics hardware to accelerate something. Firefox 8 had a lot of blacklists so yours is probably off the chart.

Can you show us the output of inxi -G? Also, I would be curious to know if you can run any 3d applications or if any other programs using XVideo crash your computer.
whorush
Reply Quote
Thanks damentz!

brad@mint ~ $ inxi -G
Graphics: Card nVidia C77 [GeForce 8200M G] X.Org 1.10.4 Res: 1280x800@50.0hz
GLX Renderer GeForce 8200M G/PCI/SSE2 GLX Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

Flash movies in firefox don't cause it to panic, but I guess firefox has blacklists to ensure that? A blacklist has something to do with kernel modules?

Nothing else makes it panic, but I don't use too much other graphics stufff.

How do I get you a tracelog?
damentz
Reply Quote
I'm not sure how you can. The kernel outputs to one of the tty's during a kernel panic (or all of them), so what a lot of people do is switch to a terminal and take a picture with their phone or camera.

But here's a more important question. Do you get kernel panics with the stock kernel too? That will eliminate the possibility if or if not your hardware is going bad.
whorush
Reply Quote
actually yesterday it crashed while watching a fullscreen flash youtube in firefox. so there. although in chrome, it might just crash on a website.

that really tells me it's not just the hardware. there's a method to it, ya know?

i think it also happens in the stock kernel, but i'll test it out and get back to you, might take a while :-).
whorush
Reply Quote
today it crashed using the stock 3.1 kernel.

i have an idea. i'm using the latest fancy drivers for nividia. maybe i'll go back to the legacy drivers. i have the 8200m gpu, the legacy drivers support it as well. in fact, ubuntu installs those by default.
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
A good idea to try the STABLE drivers for your particular card...the betas carry a lot of bugs as they are works in progress or initial implementations of new features.
whorush
Reply Quote
actually i switched to xubuntu and the stock kernel and it's still crashing. maybe it's hardware? or heat?
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

it may be just a buffering problem for youtube movies?

try this

chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lgdfnbpkmkkdhgidgcpdkgpdlfjcgnnh

what it does it stop ...autoplay....so if its a big movie relative to your bandwith you can start watching it after a fair bit as downloaded.

2) if that excites you could install a download option for youtube movies and not play them at all ....in the browser.....but with a movie player like vlc

I have Chrome YouTube Downloader entension

good luck
whorush
Reply Quote
thanks, but vlc and firefox will crash too. vlc will crash playing avi's. firefox will crash with flash. it's a bit better now, but it still crashes.
Page: 1, 2  Next