Page: Previous  1, 2

enteon
Reply Quote
You may also want to try i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 and i915.lvds_downclock=1

Both can, as always, lead to lockups but especially the frame buffer compression (fbc) is said to be noticeably powersaving.

But 5W so far is just wow!
Looks like I will definitely stay with thinkpads (the higher class) as even most modern notebooks use well more power than my by now almost ancient T60.
ej64
Reply Quote
Meanwhile fbc is already enabled. I'm not shure if it helps power savings. And occasionally I get glx crashes (2 or 3 times in the last 3-4 weeks) leading to X resets. But also not shure if it's related to fbc.

lvds_downclock seems to do nothing perceptible.

Lowest power readings have been 4.9 W yet
shamoidol
Reply Quote
How exactly do you measure power consumption?

What is your 'iddle'? Is Xorg running?

Here's my results:
Platform: Thinkpad x220 i7-2620m IPS SSD
HW settings: all radio turned off, lowest brightness
Software: No xorg, just bare system after reboot
Linux kys 3.1.0-6.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Kernel boot opts: i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 and NO pcie_aspm=force
Distro: Ubuntu (Kubuntu) oneiric 11.10

powerstats shows 5.6 Watts

And with full loaded Xorg, KDE with desktop effects and a dozen of widgets in tray, Thunderbird (with 5G of local imap cache), 3 Firefoxes with 10-20 tabs each, brightness 3 steps above the minimum, wifi on, bluetooth off, a Logitech mouse dongle (~0.4Watt) powerstats shows 7.5 - 9.0 Wats.

Before the liqourix kernel I've tried to load the default one (3.0.14) using all the options (pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1) in various ways. The lowest rate I got was 7.5 (no Xorg and no radio). So the liquorix kernel itself helps to reduce the rate by 2 Watts.

ej64
Reply Quote
:: shamoidol wrote ::
How exactly do you measure power consumption?
I use the tp-smapi infrastructure (package tp-smapi-dkms) and there /sys/devices/platform/smapi/BAT0/power_no
:: Quote ::
What is your 'iddle'? Is Xorg running?
Yes, my XFCE DE runs. Radios off, lowest brightness, speakers off. My quite minimalistic DE runs with as little as some 30 wakeups /s and my old samsung ssd is known for it's low power consumption ... that will be it, I guess.

kernel liq 3.1.0-6 with elevator=deadline i915.
i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.semaphores=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1

I think your fully populated KDE running at ~ 8 W is pretty good and nothing to get grey hair about ... ;) My one needs 5.5 to 7.5 W atm with wifi, chrome and some conky stats, though (brightness 3 steps above min, too).
Page: Previous  1, 2