Word Macros
MatthewHSE
Location: Central Illinois, typically glued to a computer screen
Reply Quote
Hey, I just tried out your Word macros and they'll make my life so much easier! Thanks!

To make these really complete, is there any way to get a macro to pick up on bold, italics. underlines, paragraphs and lists? That would really go the final mile as far as I'm concerned. Just getting rid of the crazy quotes and other special characters is a huge step, but getting those other formatting bits done as well would be really nice!
Re: Word Macros
jeffd
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
is there any way to get a macro to pick up on bold, italics. underlines, paragraphs and lists? That would really go the final mile as far as I'm concerned. Just getting rid of the crazy quotes and other special characters is a huge step, but getting those other formatting bits done as well would be really nice!

Getting the paragraphs, yes, the other formatting unfortunately not that I know of but I could be wrong. If anyone knows the syntax to do that if possible that would be great, currently I have to go through client change documents and type in those formatting things, in html, manually, which is a pain. Lists might or might not be possible, hard to say, depends on how they are actually created. But even with paragraphs you can only search for the paragraph end, not the beginning.

I keep thinking I've got most of the major things covered in there, then one day a client sends me something that uses a new proprietary thing, last time it was a new long dash, couldn't be read, don't know what it was.

There's a lot more special characters used that the script doesn't handle, but I haven't seen them in a word doc yet.

OpenOffice.org actually has a reasonably decent word to html converter, though you have to turn off the styling it puts in, can't remember if that's possible or not.

I have another basic script that does some html conversion, but it was for a specialized text so it would need some reworking.

If I were to do a word to html converter I'd do it separately, since you always want to convert special ms characters, but you don't always want to convert the document into actual html. Plus word uses so many proprietary techniques it's hard to actually work with them, though it would be convenient.
vkaryl
Reply Quote
Um. Can do in WordPerfect, no clue in word, sorry. I'm basically allergic to anything MS produces.....