patch 3.0.6
reg
Reply Quote
Hello!

I have a question about kernel sublevel number which handling seems to change in liquorix patch 3.0.6
--------------------------------------------------
diff --git a/Makefile b/Makefile
index 6a5bdad..90860a1 100644
--- a/Makefile
+++ b/Makefile
@@ -1,8 +1,8 @@
VERSION = 3
PATCHLEVEL = 0
SUBLEVEL = 0
-EXTRAVERSION =
-NAME = Sneaky Weasel
+EXTRAVERSION =
+NAME = Voluptuous Velociraptor
------------------------------------------------

It used to have (up to 3.0.4)
-SUBLEVEL = 0
+SUBLEVEL =

Was there a reason for a change?

It creates a bit of a mess with ArchLinux AUR kernel package building,
well mostly post-setup like rebuild Nvidia, VirtualBox drivers etc.
(3.0-lqx changed to 3.0.0-lqx , kernel headers path, all that fun)

Thanks
damentz
Reply Quote
Putting in the sublevel makes the liquorix package more standard against the Debian kernel. But it's really more than that - adding in the sublevel of 0 fixes a bug with LVM and mdadm that prevents mounting of volume or raid groups.

You can add a separate patch to your arch package to remove this version if it's causing you problems. It's only essential for software that still expects at least three version points in the kernel.
reg
Reply Quote
I guess extra patch for Makefile only is the way

What would you recommend from "future proof" point of view: empty sublevel or actual (6 for 3.0.6)

+SUBLEVEL = or
+SUBLEVEL = 6

Thanks
damentz
Reply Quote
It depends how you track the version of the kernel. Ubuntu and Debian ignore the sub levels and only mention them in the changelogs. If you want to expose the sublevel to be more accurate, then sure go ahead and put it in.

But really, take a look at the primary Arch kernel do what they do - it'll make your package more standard with the Arch community.
perolozac
Reply Quote
There's actually a surprising number of various system utilities and libraries that depend on the version number being formatted exactly like this. Like I said in my previous posts, when SUBLEVEL was empty, I had various warnings and/or errors reported by many of them, now everything works flawlessly.