installing on pclinuxos
Muppet
Reply Quote
hello,

i have a version of pclinuxos on my computer and have tried to install the files smxi,svmi and sgfxi.

first i have done the check for 'unzip' on my computer. unzip is on my computer

after the download i received an error message that it was not debianbased and the installation was cancelled. so no unzipping of the files.

does it not work on pclinuxos perhaps ?

or is there a solution to solve this ?

regards,

Willem
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I don't know what pclinuxos is built off of.

Here's what the scripts support as the base of the distro. Again, forget the name of the distro, that's irrelevant, there are only a handful of bases for distros: debian, ubuntu, slackware, arch, gentoo, fedora/redhat. Maybe you can consider suse a base, I'm not sure.

So with that in mind, here's what the scripts support:

smxi: debian base, only
svmi: debian base, only
sgfxi: debian, ubuntu, arch, fedora. The last two aren't always reliable since I get little user feedback and don't test them myself except maybe once a year if I'm really bored and feel like I am doing too much with my life at that point anyway.
inxi: all distros that are linux kernel based, except I think tinycore doesn't work.

As an example: mepis is debian based. Mint is ubuntu based. LMDE is debian based.

Looking quickly over at wikipedia, I see that in fact, pclinuxos is a fork of rpm based mandrake, with its own package pool. In other words, not only do smxi, svmi and probably sgfxi not support it, they will probably never support it, too much work for no reason or benefit to me.

The only script where I will even consider adding other core distro base support is sgfxi, and under no circumstances* will I consider adding anything other than Debian support to smxi and svmi. Life is too short, and the pay is far too low, ie, zero, for me to spend my finite time here on earth engaged in such fruitless pursuits.

* Well, there is one circumstance, if someone pays me a decent amount to do that.