Page: 1, 2  Next

How do I install nvidia drivers after the kernel 3.01 with smxi ?
carioca
Reply Quote
dear tech support forum,
After compiling and installing the latest versions of 3.0.1x kernel on my aptosid with kde full. I can’t install my nvidia geforce card anylonger. My nvidia is the following:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV44 [GeForce 6200 A-LE] (rev a1). Someone else has some hints to install it definitely? I have read the aptosid manual but the procedures indicated there, all failed.Nothing changes for me, all the same.I have read and I tried this warning at aptosid.com/index.php?module=wikula&tag=GoNvidia
But I didn’t get through! Is there another way like to use the towo repository or something else? Do I have to
use the debian way like this at wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers
I was used to install the nvidia drivers with the smxi . Thus, I also tried by using the the script smxi. But I don't know why It failed too. Thus, nvidia drivers didn't install even with the script smxi too.
I appreciate your helpful hints. If you know how to install the nvidia drivers properly.
Cheers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
sgfxi will install current default stable and beta and add the xorg.conf noabi patch which will let nvidia current install onto xorg 1.11

Without that xorg.conf tweak, nvidia will not work. And with it, it works for some users, and not for others.

There is NO repeat NO nvidia driver that fully supports xorg 1.11, the version in Sid. There is not, and will not be, any fglrx driver that supports xorg 1.11 for a few more releases, could be 2012, we'll see.

So there are no legacy cards supported for xorg 1.11, and with the xorg.conf tweak, current cards, like yours, (current is nvidia 6xxx cards and newer) some cards work fine, and others do not. One person reported his 7300 works perfectly. Others report many display glitches or failure to start kde at all.

this has NOTHING to do with any repos, packaging, etc, this is an issue between xorg, apparently a bug in xorg, and nvidia/fglrx driver.

I suggest trying both the current and beta with sgfxi (sgfxi -B) and see if it works.

If both fail, try: sgfxi -N nouveau
and see if nouveau works until nvidia releases patched new drivers that do support xorg 1.11.

By the way, are you going to keep with aptosid, or follow to siduction? hard to to keep track of all the distros those guys create as they blow up each one in turn...

Also of course turn off all those useless desktop affects which will only create problems if there is already an issue between the driver and xorg version.
carioca
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
sgfxi will install current default stable and beta and add the xorg.conf noabi patch which will let nvidia current install onto xorg 1.11

Without that xorg.conf tweak, nvidia will not work. And with it, it works for some users, and not for others.

There is NO repeat NO nvidia driver that fully supports xorg 1.11, the version in Sid. There is not, and will not be, any fglrx driver that supports xorg 1.11 for a few more releases, could be 2012, we'll see.

So there are no legacy cards supported for xorg 1.11, and with the xorg.conf tweak, current cards, like yours, (current is nvidia 6xxx cards and newer) some cards work fine, and others do not. One person reported his 7300 works perfectly. Others report many display glitches or failure to start kde at all.

this has NOTHING to do with any repos, packaging, etc, this is an issue between xorg, apparently a bug in xorg, and nvidia/fglrx driver.

I suggest trying both the current and beta with sgfxi (sgfxi -B) and see if it works.

If both fail, try: sgfxi -N nouveau
and see if nouveau works until nvidia releases patched new drivers that do support xorg 1.11.

By the way, are you going to keep with aptosid, or follow to siduction? hard to to keep track of all the distros those guys create as they blow up each one in turn...

Also of course turn off all those useless desktop affects which will only create problems if there is already an issue between the driver and xorg version.

hi h2!Thanks for the prompt reply. I keep on aptosid.The solution must be the xorg 1.11 as you explained to me. at the aptosid.com "muchan" replied to me there this explanation at aptosid.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1741
I have already tried the current nvidia but it didn't work but not the beta one.I will try your solutions later on. by the way, switching to the Nouveau driver is a far better option for nVidia card users ? Can It be available with sgfxi sooner ?
cheers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
There are no good options now.

sgfxi
installs current stable

sgfxi -B
installs current beta

sgfxi -N nouveau
installs nouveau

nouveau is what it is, if it works for you, fine, if not, that's how it is.

nvidia does not officially support xorg 1.11 yet, but some users are having success, and some are having failure.
GoinEasy9
Reply Quote
There seems to be a solution from nvidia. I found it on the siduction.org forum. The last post on this thread.
siduction.org/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=1311

BTW - On my new Sid install the only problem I've noticed with nouveau was that the cube isn't working, although it works on my fedora install which also uses nouveau. I used sgfxi to install nouveau on my Sid install. Just like techAdmin stated:
sgfxi -N nouveau

Carioca? Are you sure you won't be seduced by siduction? It's not released yet, but, it will be worth looking at.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's weird

www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=166025

Not sure how I should handle this one, maybe force this one if xorg 1.11?
carioca
Reply Quote
hi, h2!
aptosid has a solution with noveau driver too.Please view this message at aptosid.com/index.php?module=wikula&tag=GoNvidia
Could make it ready to the sgfxi too?
cheers.
hi, GoinEasy9!
Is the siduction an aptosid fork? All right I might use too. But I don't see my pt-br language included. I read about only german and english.Both of them. Perhaps in the future you can add to. When I started with sidux there wasn't any pt-br and I had to translate it manually by using the kde.now they get ready the pt-br and they got my brazilian support oficial at www.aptosid.com.br
I'll see you later!
orbit
Reply Quote
I posted in another thread but it's as well to post it here too.

New Nvidia driver with added support for xserver ABI 11 (xorg-server 1.11).

www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-amd64-275.28-driver-uk.html
carioca
Reply Quote
:: orbit wrote ::
I posted in another thread but it's as well to post it here too.

New Nvidia driver with added support for xserver ABI 11 (xorg-server 1.11).

www.nvidia.co.uk/object/linux-display-amd64-275.28-driver-uk.html

Thanks orbit. I have already read. I will try later on.
cheers.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The reports on nvnews.com are that the new driver doesn't work on Debian Sid.

Also, using nouveau is always an option, it's not as if that's some new 'solution', it's just the alternative driver, the one that is in Xorg natively.
Page: 1, 2  Next