How do I set swappiness with 3.0 kernel ?
jeffreyC
Reply Quote
Swappiness set to 0
425 mb RAM in use
14 mb swap in use

With 2.6.39 series kernels there would be zero swap in use
damentz
Reply Quote
Well, the CK patches reset swappiness to 0. You can always use a sysctl entry to force a value larger than 0, even set it to 60 as a default value.

I'm thinking, though, that I should just remove that specific patch from Con. There's been many changes to memory management over the past few kernel releases that could make a value of 0 in swappiness more devastating than a positive value.

EDIT: This isn't too big of a change so I only made the change to the zen-kernel sources. The next time I push out a new package you'll see the change and you can remove your sysctl entry if you added one.
jeffreyC
Reply Quote
Why I was asking is that it seems that it is ignoring the setting of 0 and using swap anyway.
I would rather it did not start using swap when only 10-15 % of RAM is in use, which it is now.
damentz
Reply Quote
If you don't want to use swap, simply don't mount the swap partition. I think at a level of 0, the kernel will still use it according to the algorithms that decide when it's appropriate to move pages.
jeffreyC
Reply Quote
I have tried different numbers in /proc/sys/vm/swappiness with the Liquorix 3.0 kernels and they are ignored.

I installed a Debian 3.0 kernel and /proc/sys/vm/swappiness is overwritten to 60 at every reboot, from 0 or 10 or anything.

Somewhere there must be a master setting for this but I do not know where.
jeffreyC
Reply Quote
Doing a Google search found a result for a zero swappiness patch in kernel.org, but they are down for maintenance