US hoster
iotaka
Reply Quote
Hi,

some one (like H2) can suggest a Californian hoster for a real server or a virtual machine. It will host a java CRM so is needed a solution with 4gb RAM or more a decent CPU and 50 GB of space. OS: linux.

Thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I have just been researching hosters for a client.

Here's what I found, so far. Now recall, I have not used this yet myself, but probably will this month: servint.net

That's vps, the prices are very good, and I was unable to find any bad reports that seemed genuine. The 4 gigabytes will be expensive of course, relatively.

www.pair.com is of course my go to first choice. However, those are more for shared servers (their shared service is equal to many low end hosters dedicated in terms of page load and page requests), and you couldn't get 4 gig ram shared. Their dedicated servers are expensive but you do truly get what you pay for. They run all freebsd however on their shared/dedicated machines. They also run vps now, which you can get with ubuntu. I can tell you from 10 years experience, NOBODY is better than Pair, nobody. So take a look at their vps offerings, their top line one seems close to what you need. Pair will also work with you to add extras, like if you truly need 4 gigs ram and not just 3, that's something I'm sure they can do for you on the vps.

If you do use pair, please sign up using the link at the bottom of the forums, I get a small credit from them for referrals, but believe me, I refer this company because I think they are not just slightly superior in every way to all other hosters, I believe they occupy their own level, alone.

But I found many users of servint who also loved them, but I can say one thing right away that turns me off, servint has no phone to call without an account, and to me that is strange, very strange in fact. And the only way to ask them questions is via a webform chat, which to me is weird as well.

Pair does everything well, and everything they offer they are fully able to support. And they do. Pair does not cater to people looking for $5 dollar hosting or $100 servers, neither of which of course you can do and have good service/uptime/hardware/networks.

If you had asked me 30 days from now I could give you a more direct feedback on servint quality. One negative with them is they use centos in their managed vps. I think anyway. I do not like rpm distros at all.
iotaka
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
Here's what I found, so far. Now recall, I have not used this yet myself, but probably will this month: servint.net

The VPS not fit our needs. And dedicated are a bit expensive and bandwidth is very limited ... Perhaps US are a lot more expensive than Europe ... What I had in mind was a profile similar to this: www.ovh.co.uk/products/superplan_best_of.xml Is replicable in US?

www.pair.com is of course my go to first choice.

How they are able to sell with this prices? OK the server is fully managed, but I need to be the root to install what fit my needs. Their offer is perfect if you host a web site and they are responsible to security and stability of the machine but is not suitable for different purpose.

If you had asked me 30 days from now I could give you a more direct feedback on servint quality. One negative with them is they use centos in their managed vps. I think anyway. I do not like rpm distros at all.

If you work with linux commercial softwares (scientific and engineering tools) you must use CentOS, debian is not supported (often they support specific version of RHEL and you can't update the system, is fool I know), so for us use centos is equal to use debian, if we can choose we use debian otherwise Centos / Scientifi Linux.

Thank you.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
You can get any low priced solution you want in the US, assuming you do not value your time and uptime of site, they are fine. If you do value your time, and do want to have very high uptime you can't use cheap servers, that's the same here or there.

I was looking at a cheap offer for dedicated which I won't refer to by name, and then I investigated, and it turned out they had very unreliable service, and poor support when things failed. So you get what you pay for.

I value my time, my clients value the ease of mind from having no issues and no excuses for failures, which is the norm on low priced hosting, that is, excuses for failure are the norm. I prefer to hear no excuses because there are no failures, and for that you have to pay, sad to say.

Pair doesn't give root access on their dedicated, unless it's a colo machine. I don't know about the vps.

I've been very very very unimpressed by low priced hosters, having had to suffer their excuses consistently for years. I finally realized that if I paid the proper price it costs to maintain quality hardware, networks, and support staff, then I would get the proper level of service, and would remove headaches from my life.

Obviously if you don't need managed, then you can save quite a bit, you can just contact the better hosters and ask about non-managed. There was one offer that was about 30 a month for vps, non managed, but I know the hoster, and I have grown tired of their failures and excuses over the years, so I'm not going to recommend them by name. Big company though.
iotaka
Reply Quote
You can get any low priced solution you want in the US, assuming you do not value your time and uptime of site, they are fine. If you do value your time, and do want to have very high uptime you can't use cheap servers, that's the same here or there.

This is right and true!

Pair doesn't give root access on their dedicated, unless it's a colo machine. I don't know about the vps.

this is a limit for me but an high value for others no care of system security updates or hardware monitoring.

Obviously if you don't need managed, then you can save quite a bit, you can just contact the better hosters and ask about non-managed. There was one offer that was about 30 a month for vps, non managed, but I know the hoster, and I have grown tired of their failures and excuses over the years, so I'm not going to recommend them by name. Big company though.

For now I need to find some unmanaged hoster and evaluate their offers, the final word is of my boss.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Oh, don't spend much time evaluating their offers, spend the time looking for people who hate them. That's what I did this afternoon, for example, I was asked about Jumpline, and it took only a short amount of research to discover they were near criminal in their billing and support practices.

Be careful of cloud/grid type servers, by the way, when the cloud/grid system fails, it can be down for a day or two, and nobody can fix it. Not to mention data loss and backup issues.