fail: Liquorix 2.6.39.x + nVidia
Daria
Reply Quote
Hi,

I use ubuntu 10.10 with liquorix for a while. the 2.6.38 kernel was great and worked for me. I tried to install some new 2.6.39 liquorix kernel, they all doesn't work with nvidia drivers, or nvidia doesn't work with liquorix. X doesn't start cause nvidia kernel module fails to compile after update:

:: Code ::
debconf: kann Oberfläche nicht initialisieren: Dialog
debconf: (Für die Dialog-Oberfläche muss das Bild mindestens 13 Zeilen hoch und 31 Spalten breit sein.)
debconf: greife zurück auf die Oberfläche: Readline
Vorkonfiguration der Pakete ...
(Lese Datenbank ... 337483 Dateien und Verzeichnisse sind derzeit installiert.)
Vorbereiten zum Ersetzen von linux-image-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 2.6.39-5 (durch .../linux-image-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64_2.6.39-5_amd64.deb) ...
debconf: (Für die Dialog-Oberfläche muss das Bild mindestens 13 Zeilen hoch und 31 Spalten breit sein.)
Entpacke Ersatz für linux-image-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Richte linux-image-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 ein (2.6.39-5) ...
Running depmod.
Running update-initramfs.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
 * dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64                                                                       
 *       nvidia-current (260.19.06)...                                                                                                             [fail]
 *       vboxhost (4.0.8)...                                                                                                                       [ OK ]
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/pm-utils 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/update-notifier 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/zz-update-grub 2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64 /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Generating grub.cfg ...
Found background image: moreblue-orbit-grub.png
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.39-2.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-7.dmz.1-liquorix-amd64
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+.bin
done

reiner
Reply Quote
hmm strange,
I use the 2.6.39 kernels fromlLiquorix and the prop. nvidia driver with two monitors.
I have no problems experienced yet. But I use smxi/sgfxi for updates of kernels and drivers. Maybe you should use those to eventually update your graphics-driver

regards

Reiner
techAdmin
Reply Quote
That's the ongoing dkms packaged nvidia failure, install the real drivers and the issue goes away, make sure to purge dkms first.

Or use sgfxi, which is easier, and doesn't require holding the hand through every step.

There is no problem with the liquorix kernel, the problem is in your ubuntu's package.

Old drivers do not generally work with new kernels, why is this concept so hard for users of frozen pool releases like ubuntu to grasp??

If you use a frozen pool release, like ubuntu, either stick with their defaults, like kernels and drivers, or learn enough to understand that you can't just switch things at random, ie, move one part of the system to latest cutting edge, but leave everything else untouched, and expect everything to just work. I've been seeing more of these issues, which are especially absurd when the ubuntu in question isn't even the current one. There is also no guarantee that the old gcc version will work either, currently liquorix is built with 4.5, but it should soon be bumped to 4.6
techAdmin
Reply Quote
For convenience, I created this library post for Ubuntu/Frozen pool distro users.

Read that before posting a problem, and if you didn't read it, read it when we point you to it, and show us the requested data: inxi -bxx
to shorten the support time and make the process sane.