[solved]: how to get alsa drivers back, after a goof-up ?
falcon74
Reply Quote
Hi,

Currently running CrunchBang 10 "Staler", with the kernel at:
:: Code ::

linux-headers-2.6.36-2.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64
linux-headers-2.6-liquorix-amd64
linux-image-2.6.36-2.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64
linux-image-2.6-liquorix-amd64

This is on an ASUS Eee 1011PX netbook. I mixed up some instruction around how to enable inbuilt microphone on stock kernel, and mistakenly installed alsa-driver-linuxant package, meant for stock kernel, while having already upgraded to liquorix.

While I understand that reinstalling everything might be straightforward solution, I am unfortunately having a low bandwidth data-capped connection available, so trying to see if I an do so damage control without doing a full reinstall.

I've already done:-

sudo dpkg --force-all --remove alsa-driver-linuxant

followed by manual removal of the alsa-driver-linuxant directory, since dpkg warned about not being able to remove it as it was not empty. As a result, I think I'm without alsa at all.

To fix that last mistake, I went ahead and reinstalled alsa, doing this step:

sudo apt-get --purge remove linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils
sudo apt-get install linux-sound-base alsa-base alsa-utils

but that didn't seem to fix the problem. After rebooting, I still don't see any snd_* modules from "lsmod". I think it has something to do with manually edited module configuration s.a. blacklists etc. Is there a way to possibly set it up to defaults, like just after a clean install, where HW detection takes care of module selection.

Any help / pointers would be really useful.

TIA,
falcon

< Edited by falcon74 :: Jul 8, 11, 22:55 >

[solved]: how to get alsa drivers back, after a goof-up ?
falcon74
Reply Quote
My bad! I think I just imagined that I had rebooted, probably had not. On a reboot finally, I can see all the snd_* modules.

However, the actual problem of sound not working remains. Will make a separate post for that.

falcon
damentz
Reply Quote
:: Quote ::
linux-headers-2.6.36-2.dmz.5-liquorix-amd64

That's an old kernel with old alsa drivers. You might want to try using the latest kernel available and see what happens.
falcon74
Reply Quote
Thanks for taking time to respond. Will definitely try the latest kernel.