Liquorix kernel for RT applications and Debian squeeze
youki
Reply Quote
Hi. Sorry if my english is sometimes not so clear, i'll try to do my best.

Well, i use the liquorix kernel to make music on Debian with jackd and RT applications. It works great!

I had the problem about gcc and latest liquorix kernels already discussed on this forum. It happened while i was installing a new squeeze system on a computer dedicated to music. To have a stable OS is important when you record, if it breaks during you're recording then it's a mess, that's the reason why the choice of squeeze is obvious to me.

The RT kernel is stuck to 2.6.33 and make problems with Nvidia drivers and nouveau.

A 2.6.37 liquorix kernel would be perfect for what i need but it's not in the repos anymore.
I could make the effort to compile, i did in the past many times but not everybody is into and i made this how-to about installing a stable Debian dedicated to music providing the advice to use a liquorix kernel :
[link]

So now my question : why not to make a stable branch in the repos with a 2.6.37 for people who want to use a liquorix kernel on squeeze?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
The reason why not is because it's more work for the kernel builder of liquorix, work that he does not himself benefit from in any way, shape, or form. He doesn't use stable, he uses testing or sid.

So while it's always fun and entertaining to volunteer others to do a task that doesn't help themselves in any way, I think you'll find much better results by volunteering to build, test, debug, and most important, maintain over a significant period of time (ie, not months or weeks, but years, ie, you commit to that support in a responsible manner, so someone else doesn't get left with the work if you get bored doing it) such a pool yourself, who would personally benefit from this.

That's how FOSS projects work. You can find damentz on the irc channel at irc.oftc.net #smxi if you want to discuss a way to contribute time and energy to his project to solve a problem you have for your needs. I'm sure he'll be happy to discuss ways you can contribute to assist in reaching your goals.

damentz already does quite a bit, he builds and maintains, slightly, the past branch, which is the previous major kernel version, and, at times, he builds and tests the future branch, and that is enough branches I would say for one person who does it for fun to do.

There are already several how to build your own kernel for squeeze threads here however, which provide fine instructions on how to do that.

Here's a recent thread here: techpatterns.com/forums/about1872.html
which references a debian thread forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62069

where damentz explains the right way to do it. By the way, nobody has as of yet volunteered to simply build these kernels and provide the debs etc to damentz for others to benefit from, so it's hard to see why damentz himself should be volunteered when the people who actually use it and want it aren't willing to do the work required to help others.

Here are the basic requirements to maintain a pool:

1. build 32 and 64 bit kernels for the current stable pool base.

2. Test these kerrnels to make sure they install and work on test systems. Ideally real hardware for at least one to make sure no hardware support issues are missed.

3. test on virtual machines with clean, non customized squeeze/current stable installs. This is to avoid the problem devs have of having their systems filled with dev tools which make things work that won't work on vanilla installs.

4. upload with relevant apt pool information once ready to go and tested and debugged.

5. Handle major failures, like a new kernel breaking old hal, or nouveau, or whatever is in squeeze vs testing/sid at the time.

6. Handle bug reports for kernel, including testing fixes and issues for users.

Doesn't sound quite as fun now does it?
youki
Reply Quote
Ok, thanx a lot for your answer.

I never alleged it was fun. I just didn't expect it was as much work as you describe cause this 2.6.37 kernel is already built and was already tested in the past, that it's well known that it works fine with squeeze. So i didn't expect that to ask if it is possible to let it downloadable till the "end" of squeeze was so stupid, sorry, sorry, sorry, i won't do it anymore.

Else it is impossible to join the channel #smxi :
:: Quote ::
Impossible de rejoindre #smxi (Vous êtes banni)

Which means that i'm banned. So i guess it will be difficult to talk about with Damentz.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
how you got banned from #smxi I cannot say, that's quite difficult to do, we do not ban often.

smxi itself has kernel zip files of each last version of the major kernels, but smxi does not support ubuntu, but it does support debian stable.

that method doesn't promise any results, but those kernels are present and available to any debian user.

they are found in kernel install section, alternate-kernels.

However, that's not a something I support actively, in other words, if it works for your system, fine, if not, not.
youki
Reply Quote
:: techAdmin wrote ::
how you got banned from #smxi I cannot say, that's quite difficult to do, we do not ban often.

The problem is solved, some bad settings about proxy in xchat that i fixed a few minutes ago. I usually don't use IRC so much and i'm not familiar with these settings, sorry.

smxi itself has kernel zip files of each last version of the major kernels, but smxi does not support ubuntu, but it does support debian stable.

that method doesn't promise any results, but those kernels are present and available to any debian user.

However, that's not a something I support actively, in other words, if it works for your system, fine, if not, not.

Thanx for the advices, i'll give a try. Another solution that i found is to use the liquorix kernel 2.6.36 used by Crunchbang. I just tried it, it works fine on my squeeze with jackd.
youki
Reply Quote

Thanx a lot, it works. I'll advice people to use this method in the tutorial. Problems solved.