Best method for Compiling in Squeeze?
baudelaire
Reply Quote
I'm new to it, but I'm loving Liquorix so far.

I understand that Liquorix is designed primarily for sid & testing, but I want it installed and working on Squeeze. I just don't care for the FLOSS out of date kernel and want something that will work, free or not, and is up to date.

I compiled a version following the directions (adjusted for *39) from the second post here: forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=62069

Everything went without a hitch (from what I could tell), but is there perhaps a better or recommended way to compile a Liquorix kernel for Squeeze?

One thing I will say is, that I, as has been mentioned before am unable to get powertop to run. Any clues as to why that might be?

Linux 2.6.39-liquorix-20110611 #1 ZEN SMP PREEMPT Sat Jun 11 20:07:41 EDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
damentz
Reply Quote
Powertop is actually broken - read for yourself in the gentoo bug report: bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358869

No one has figured out how to get it working. Which is sad, I don't know how the developer doesn't know this.

But, I wrote the proper way to build a kernel in that thread, you'll have to find my post. All the ways in there are fine, but if you want to put your kernel in a repository, you'll have to go the debuild route.
baudelaire
Reply Quote
I see, thank you for the quick response.

I'll try to learn more about compiling a kernal this way, with debuild and such.

If I use the source that's in the backports for example, and compile it myself with your config, patch etc, will it still be "FLOSS'ed"?

Maybe I'm not asking the question properly, I'm not sure :-p
baudelaire
Reply Quote
So I've attempted building it your way, but to no avail :-). I confess, I've never had to build something from source, much less the kernel.

You have me curious and interested in how to do this. Would you mind sharing with my how you would do it, or point me in the right direction, perhaps a link to something?

Thanks again for your great work on the kernel