Will I have to recompile the fglrx kernel module?
pygy
Reply Quote
Hello,

I'm about to install the stable Liquorix kernel. Will I have to re-install the fglrx kernel module?

TIA :-)
--Pygy
DeepDayze
Reply Quote
Yes, you must recompile the fglrx module whenever you update the kernel or Xorg core components. If you do not do that it'll fail.
pygy
Reply Quote
Thanks for the answer.

Do I have to recompile it before or after rebooting with the new kernel?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
with fglrx, after reboot. Warning: fglrx crashes hard so make sure to reboot without x having tried to start. Your results may vary.

nvidia you can do it before if you use the right args, or if you install the kernel with smxi, then you can do it all at once.
pygy
Reply Quote
What would you recommend in practice for fglrx?

I've already added liquorix.list in the right path. I will then "apt-get install '^liquorix-([^-]+-)?keyring.?' ".

Now, how can I make sure that the kernel module links properly against the right version of the kernel headers?

Do I reboot in command line mode and recompile from there? Or can I recompile them before rebooting, and if so, how?

Regards,
-- Pygy
techAdmin
Reply Quote
Like I said, you reboot and reinstall fglrx. There's no option I am aware that currently works to install to non running kernel.

Maybe I guess if you use the debian package for fglrx then use dkms but I avoid that stuff, just causes problems, it only takes a few minutes to reinstall the driver with sgfxi.
skotadopsyxos
Reply Quote
actually fglrx is built with dkms so that should take care of it...

my problem is
/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:117:28: fatal error: linux/smp_lock.h: No such file or directory

edit:nevermind, a problem with fglrx and 2.6.39
techAdmin
Reply Quote
And that's why I don't recommend dkms, sad to say.

Best solution: change gdm/kdm default start runlevel to 3, boot into runlevel 2, install fglrx via sgfxi.

New fglrx works fine on 2.6.39 if you DON'T use the debian fglrx package, I can't say about the fglrx package however.