Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

deach
Reply Quote
Thanks Ice, yes that was it indeed. I looked at what was going to be removed then, just did the second one to remove it. Using SMXI exclusively to maintain those boxes. Just remember to get the "non slh" kernel.

Regards,
Deach
Aptosid expundgency. :)
neotech
Reply Quote
I highly recommend starting with a Debian ISO, and not Aptosid. Even with the lure, of how fast Aptosid installs. I already know, the simplest, and typically recommended solution, is to reinstall Debian.

The problem is, I learned this the hard way, and while I converted away from the Aptosid (by this threads help), kernel and repos; very successfully, smxi still indicates I am running Aptosid.

Does it matter; to what smxi does?

How do I change it, and where?

What the heck, else, isn't really Debian Pure? I just want to run 64 bit sid, and I think I am; kinda. LOL. Complete with Linux 3.0.

You see, as usual, I have invested a bunch of time, getting my install customized, and I favor my installed, Gnome 2 (today).

a) Aptosid, is claimed to be sid, anyway; kinda. So i hope reinstalling isn't better.

b) I want the advantages of a rolling release, and if reinstalling, is the way, then I have lost that.

c) I want to be running as close to Debian sid pure (with the apps and tweaks I like), as possible. That just my preference.

What do I need to do, to finish cleaning it up? Please take mercy. :)

What else, have you guys found, to be different; that's not listed here.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
smxi looks for distro id files, in this case either /etc/sidux-version or /etc/aptosid-version

just delete that file and it will show as true debian again.

Aptosid/sidux, for all their annoying geeky faults and lack of human skills, are fairly diligent about not breaking compatibility with debian pure, so once you've purged all the packages from them, you do pretty much have debian, give or take a few defaults, which mostly I actually prefer over the debian ones, like better defaul runlevels 3/5 instead of debian's 2 for all.

But you can change the runlevels with smxi easily, in advanced misc tweaks.

Some of the apt preferences from aptosid are also in my opinion better than debian defaults, those will get removed when you purge the aptosid apt package, but it's easy to reset those.

Basically you never want apt to install recommends, and one or two other things.
aus9
Reply Quote
hi

I too have used sidux/aptosid to install as I have download speed issues in Australia.

me thinks the file to look at is /etc/default/distro?
neotech
Reply Quote
Yes, I'm looking at that. Can someone post their sid pure version, of /etc/default/distro, and if it is advised; to replace it after conversion away, from aptosid.

I stopped smxi, from saying it is aptosid, just by renaming /etc/aptosid-version, to /etc/aptosid-version_HOLD

Would these, other changes, conclude the sum total of aptosid differences, over sid?

Also of note: I believe the conversion, also, automatically changed the run levels (I saw). How can I verify my run levels are like the debian pure defaults?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
to set and confirm debian runlevels to 2, which is a BAD idea in my opinion, one of the worst things debian does as a default, you can use smxi advanced misc tweaks, and just set it to 2.

Personally, I want my desktop to start at 3, and I leave all other debian defaults as 2. That lets me be able to boot into a full user level system, minus desktop graphic stuff, without any headache or tweaks. Very useful, that's why aptosid used the other older default of 3 / 5, which is redhat and others type default, for very good reason.

as for everything returning to precisely debian, I doubt it, but most of the stuff will be the same, close enough in my opinion to not matter.

the distro id comes in to play only in 3 places:
1: if you have an aptosid package without aptosid repos, that will eventually cause problems if dependencies change.

2: the distro id file, simply remove it, that's it, it's just a text file with a short id string in it. Don't touch anything other than the aptosid/sidux id file in /etc though, aus9 is correct in this case about legacy cruft, I checked.

3: the actual apt sources themselves. Once aptosid is removed, it's gone as a repo.

Once all aptosid/sidux packages are purged, all those /etc files should also be removed, except I think the aptosid-version file.

However, if you look in the /etc/default/distro file and it contains either sidux or aptosid information, then get rid of that too, but it shouldn't matter at all, and I honestly don't know what else that file does.

I did check, and mine is old sidux stuff, but it's not used for anything as far as I know. My guess is that if you dump that either nothing happens, or its replaced by a debian one, I'd have to check a pure debian install.
neotech
Reply Quote
Thank you very much.

Yes, I successfully got rid of all the aptosid repos, and packs. Running Linux 3.0 too. I also added gnome, the Debian recommended way, such as it would have been; upon install.

As to: /etc/default/distro
"My guess is that if you dump that either nothing happens, or its replaced by a debian one, I'd have to check a pure debian install."

Yep, my thinking exactly. Anybody?
techAdmin
Reply Quote
all the defaults in that file on my sidux one are not debian, they are specific to the sidux/aptosid installer/system.

mine is from sidux, and it didn't change when I updated to aptosid, so I'm guessing that it just doesn't matter.

You can also see if any package owns /etc/default/distro, for me it's distro-defaults, which is an aptosid/sidux package.

I actually think some of aptosid defaults would make an excellent debian package as an alternate, in terms of a nice set of settings that are a bit better than debian's defaults.
neotech
Reply Quote
I even downloaded the net install, on the off chance that I could pull that file out, but could not find it. I'm not sure when, how, or even if, it would be created, on a Debian pure install.
techAdmin
Reply Quote
I checked a true debian squeeze install, that file does not exist on it. /etc/default/distro

I thought that was a sidux/aptosid specific thing, I did used to be a team member there so I have hazy recollections of some of these things.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next